six; awkward questions

SERENITY HUDSON
"In time of test, family is best."
Burmese Proverb
—————

My mom watched me as I picked up the coffee and walked to the table. Her short hair fell perfectly on her face, the navy blue dress made her look amazing as she sipped her black coffee.

"So how's New York alone?" She queried eyeing me.

I shrugged. "It's New York. I really like it." I answered. "Alone or not, it's pretty cool."

She hummed softly. "Any boy?" She asked.

I chuckled lightly making her smile wide. "No, don't think so."

She arched an eyebrow. "You don't think so?"

"Mom!" I exclaimed as she laughed loudly.

I loved my mom more than anything. My dad left us to be better but he was still present in my life, not like I wanted to but he was here. My mom managed to work her ass off for me, she became one of the most powerful business woman in New York then in the world.

"Honey, you're twenty-two and I never met any of your boyfriends." She replied with a pout.

I sighed. "Cause I only got three and they were useless." I said to her as she laughed.

"You look a lot like me but love will come to you, babe. Dont need to rush things." She told me. "I know you're a sucker for love, I can see it thanks to all the books you read."

I laughed. "My books are great and they're not always about love."

She scoffed. "Yes, they are!" She argued back. I was about to argue back but someone cut me off.

"Ren?" Asked a familiar voice.

I snapped my head towards the tall figure next to me, he was wearing a black t-shirt with a blue jeans, his guitar on his back like usually, a coffee in his hand and a book in the other and his smile still wide as last week.

"Shawn!" I hugged him tightly and pulled away as I felt my mom's stare.

Shawn kissed my cheek not aware of my mom's presence. "Mom this is my friend." I said as Shawn gasped and concentrated himself on her.

"Hello, I'm Shawn Mendes. Serenity's friend." He rambled. "Nice to meet you, Mrs..."

She stood up, fixed her dress. "Selena Flores but you can call me Selena." She told him hugging him.

"I'll walk you with you outside." I talked as they pulled away. "I'm coming back in a few, mom."

"Sure, sweetie. Take your time." She winked as I groaned. "Bye Shawn!"

"Bye, Mrs Flores!" He waved at her.

Shawn and I walked outside under my mom's stare as I mentally rolled my eyes for her attitude.

"She looks nice." Said Shawn as I laughed.

I nodded. "She is." He tilted his head and gave me a confused look. "Why do you look so stressed?"

"Cause...I didn't think you would meet my mom as a friend or at all..." I admitted with a soft blush.

Shawn chuckled as he grabbed my hand and brought me closer. "Still wearing the ring, eh." He talked as I hummed.

"I can give it to you, I just forgot to give it back—" He cupped my face and laughed.

"Relax, Ren!" He told me as I let out a frustrated sigh. "I met your mom and it's okay! She's nice but my mom looks worst." He laughed as I let out a chuckle.

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up, I'm pretty sure your mom is great."

"So is yours." He answered with a slight smirk. "I need to go, Ren but I'll see you tomorrow?"

I nodded. "Yup, bring your new book." I told him

He shook his head. "You saw it?" He queried as I nodded again. "I won't tell you the title but you'll be happy." He exclaimed

I arched an eyebrow. "Happy?"

He hummed and kissed my forehead. "Alright, see you tomorrow Serenity."

I closed my eyes enjoying his kiss but soon pulled away bringing me back to reality. "Yeah...See you tomorrow."

I looked at him leaving as I made my way back to my mom who was still sipping her black coffee. She grinned as she saw me, sign that she watched me all the time I was outside.

"Who's this boy?" She asked while I sat down.

I laughed at her teenager attitude. "He's a friend that I met a month ago in the library." I told her

"Just a friend? Looks like he wants more." She giggled.

I rolled my eyes for the million times today, a small smile appeared on my face. "We are friends...right now."

"Right now, uh?" She teased me. "He looks like a good boy, I won't have a problem with you dating him."

"You just want me to date someone." I answered

She frowned. "No, well yes but I want you to be happy and he makes you happy."

I hummed taking a sip of my tea. "He does."

"You admitted it!" She almost yelled. "He makes you happy! Happy! What are you waiting for?"

"First you act like a teenager and second...I just don't want to rush things."

"Oh, I get it." She replied. "Anyways, my love I have to go but I'll be happy to see you at home for a little." She told me standing straight up.

I smiled. "I will." I told her. "I love you mom."

"I love you too." She spoke hugging me tightly. "See you soon and keep me updated with that Shawn!" She talked while walking out of the coffee place.

"Will do!" I yelled with a laugh.

He made me happy.

—————
author's note:
I love this book so much and I'm here for all the softness 🥺