one; book lover

SERENITY HUDSON
"the best is only bought at the cost of great
pain...or so says the legend"
Colleen McCullough, The Thorn Birds
—————

The smell of the coffee impregnated my nose as I turned the last pages of my book. I quickly finished my coffee and hurried looking for a new book. My fingers touched every one in that library, a new one caught my attention.

'The Thorns Birds' by Colleen McCullough written in 1977, interesting. I walked back to the couch, opened the book and slowly started to get lost in it. The couch collapsed on the other side, soon a melody played next to me. I turned my head meeting a boy, curls fell on his forehead, his fingers touched the strings delicately, his eyes are shut as his head moved at the rhythm, his foot is tapping the floor as he hummed.

He slowly opened his eyes meeting my gaze. "Sorry, I can't stop playing if you—" He started as I cut him off.

I shook my head. "Don't, it was nice. What were you playing?"

"John Mayer." He replied shyly.

I clapped my hands together. "I love him! Play again and I will guess!" I told him excitedly

He chuckled and carried on the song, after a minute who seemed an eternity, I finally found it. "Stop This Train!" I told him excitedly.

"Good call!" He told me as I giggled. "Alright, I will stop since you were reading."

I smiled shyly. "You don't have to." I whispered grabbing my book again.

As I read the story of Meggie Cleary, how she had to quit school to take care of the youngest children. My lips curved into a smile as I read the first kiss between Ralph, her childhood friend and Meggie.

"What are you reading?" Asked the same stranger next to me.

I smiled. "The Thorns Birds." I answered.

"What is it about?" He queried, curious to know.

I grinned. "Forbidden love resulting in pain and tragedy." I explained. "You should read it."

He shook his head. "I can't read."

I rolled my eyes. "That's an excuse, sir. You can read, you're just too lazy and impatient to finish the book."

He laughed quietly. "You're totally right."

I carried on the reading. I frowned as I read that Meggie and Ralph had to stop their relationship cause Mary Carson, the clan matriarch was jealous of them. I, soon, felt heartbroken as Meggie married Luke O'Neill and moved to Queensland. I felt more bad when I noticed that her husband had no interest in her.

"Oh, she's pregnant!" I exclaimed out loud as the guy stared at me.

"You look so into it." He whispered softly with a slight smile.

I laughed. "I am, I wont leave the place until I finish to read."

He frowned. "But, it's closing soon." He remarked.

"I have the key, the owner trust me a lot." I answered softly. "Wanna stay with me?"

His lips curved into a slight smile as he nodded. After a hour, I still could feel his strong stare on me while he played the guitar and I read the last pages of the book. I would lie if I said that I didn't let out tears while reading it. Ralph and Meggie deserved better, Dane too. Quick resume, Meggie and Ralph had an affair and she soon knew that she was pregnant so she had sex with her husband so the child wouldn't be nameless. Ralph didn't know that he was a father until Dane grew older. Unfortunately, Dane died in Greece, while rescuing a drowning woman. What a sad story yet amazing.

The sweet melody of 'Lucky' by Jason Mraz as I hummed. I closed the book and put it back at his place.

"Already done?" He asked still playing.

I nodded. "Yup." I went back and sat next to him. "One of the best book I've ever read."

He smirked. "You're so passionate about books, this is insane."

I shrugged. "Not really. It's like you, you're passionate about guitar, right?" He nodded. "Guitar is a way for you to be in your own world for a moment, well, reading is exactly the same for me."

"Yeah, you're right." He let out a sleepy chuckle

I turned my body towards him. "Let's make a deal." I told him as he frowned. "Next week, we both come here and you'll teach me guitar then in two weeks we will read together! Deal?"

His face lightened up. "It could be nice, really nice." He grinned. "Wait...I don't even know your name..."

"Serenity Hudson." I extended my hand so he could shake it.

His hand came in contact with mine sending electricity in my whole body. "Shawn Mendes."

I offered him a sweet smile. "Nice to meet you, Shawn but I have to go."

"Sure, I will come outside with you." He answered grabbing his stuff. It was around eleven pm but the New York were still bonded with people.

"I love New York." I blurted. "It's just authentic."

He hummed next to me, his guitar on his back. "I moved here two years ago so I can't really say that I love it. New York is so big."

"It is." I agreed. "Anyways, I should go home."

"Yeah me too." He cleared his throat. "Anyways, goodnight Serenity."

I watched him as he left. "Wait, Shawn!" I called out his name as he turned around. "Can I have your number?"

He took my phone and entered his name in. "Alright, you have my number now. Good night." He winked before disappearing in the night.

—————
author's note,
First part. Whoops.

Hope you'll like it, sorry for the mistakes! Xx