Chapter Thirteen

Amber's pov:

I stared at the vibrating phone in my hand. I was frozen in fear. The phone went voicemail, and I began to breathe again. I flopped back onto the ground, my head ending up on Luke's chest. I looked up, to see him fast asleep. I giggle. God, he was cute. I bit my lip and was going to go kiss him. But I was stopped by my phone vibrating again. I stared at it again. I felt Luke stir beneath me. There was no way I could take this call now, or maybe ever. I click my phone off and shut it down. I snuggled into Luke chest, trying to block out the world. He smelled like Cologne and something I can't classify as anything but boy. I smiled into his chest and closed my eyes.

When Luke shook me awake, the sky was darker. It was the perfect shade blue, streaked with orange and purple. I sat up quickly. I rubbed sleep away from my eyes.

"What happened?" I say with a yawn. He looked a little bit frantic, his blue eyes wide and staring at me.

"We fell asleep! And I promised my mum we would be back by 9!" He pretty much yelled at me.

"Well what time is it?" I say while reaching for my phone. When I went to click it on, I noticed it was off. Everything came rushing back to me, the I love yous, the phone call, everything, and I felt wide awake.

"8:30! We gotta go!!" He screamed. I nodded quick, trying to hide the sudden tears that came rushing to my eyes. He grabbed up the remains of our picnic and pulled my hand was we ran to the car.

We were twenty minutes into the driving and neither of us had spoken a word since.we started driving. I stared out the windows, watching the trees pass by in a blur. If there was music playing, I couldn't hear it. I wish I had headphones to drown out my thoughts.

Luke pulled up to his house with four minutes to spare. I looked over at me, and I gave him a half smile. He frowned and drew his eyebrows together.

"What wrong?" I asked, his feelings coming above my own.

"Nothing... it's just... is the way you've been acting... does it have anything to do with what I said earlier?" He says, not able to meet my gaze.

I reached out and moved his face so he was looking at me. His sad blue eyes sparkled in the moonlight coming though the car window. His hair was in a messy quiff, and he had his lip ring in between his teeth. He was too gorgeous to be self conscious. I pulled him to me and kissed him, long and sweet. I pulled back, and looked straight into his eyes.

"Of course not. I was Just a little tired , but I meant what I said. I love you,Luke Hemmings, and nothing can change that." I say, meaning every word. He smiled, and I felt his dimples against my hand. His smiled was contagious, and I giggled.

"I love you too, Amber Hemmings. "He said with a laugh.

"That's not my last name." I say with a raised eyebrow.

"Not yet," he says with a wink , pulling me out the car.

"It's about time, young man!" I heard a voice yell from upstairs. Michael, Calum and Ash were sitting on the couch watching Men in Black. Michael sat up.

"Oooh, mamas boy is in trouble! This should be good." Michael calls out, putting his elbows on his knees. Calum laughed and looked up at Luke.

"Better watch out!" He yelled jokingly. Ash giggled, and I smiled.

Liz Hemmings tore down the stairs towards her son. Despite being shorter, she showed her power. She stood in front of him and stuck her hands on her hips.

"Be glad you got home at 9 on the dot." She put emphasis on dot. She turned her attention towards me. Her face completely changed. It became softer, kinder, and her hands dropped from her hips.

"Who's this? " she asked,not taking her eyes off me. Luke cleared his throat.

"Uh...mom, this is Amber. Amber, my mom. Ummm mum? Amber is my girlfriend." He looked down and was scratching at his neck. I blushed.

"Luke, you never told me you had a pretty girlfriend?" She said, her voice surprised. She smiled at me and then to her son.

"If you two need anything, I'll be upstairs." She turns towards the rest of the boys.

"Keep an eye on those two" she finishes and we all laugh as she dissapears up the stairs.

I sit down with Luke on a empty arm chair where I'm pretty much on his lap. Calum is spread out on a small couch. Ashton and Michael are sitting on a longer couch next to the tv against the wall. This entire house is unbelievably huge. Even though I was expecting something like this, it's still shocking.

All of a sudden, Ash sighs. "It's sucks we only have 2 more days until we start our tour back up. I've missed this place." He says,leaning back against the couch. They all mumble in approval, and Luke's gaze becomes distant. I snuggle against him, and he gives a shy smile.

Luke heads up to bed at around 1:20.

He pecked my lips and smiled. "Hey babe, I'm gonna go up to talk to my mom and head to bed. I love you." He told me.

"Nite. Love you." I say, smiling and blushing. Michael laughs.

"Going to say goodnight to mommy? Dude, that is so not punk rock." He says while shaking his head. I laughed, remembering what I said on the picnic. Maybe I really am like Michael. Luke laughing with meet, shooting me a look that showed he though of the picnic thing too. And with that, he left the room. The guys had started playing video games again, so I went to turn on my phone. I bit my lip. The apple sign popped up on the phone. My palms were sweaty, making the phone slippery in my hands. I put my eyebrows together and took deep breaths to try and slow my heart rate.
25 texts and missed calls from mom.

My stomach dropped. Thank God she didn't leave any messages. She never called me this many times, maybe in my entire life. She must really be panicked. I tried to envision it. My mother paving by the phone,.crying and not eating because deep down she had really cared about me. Since I've left, she sobered up because she's worried. She was calling to say how much she missed me.

The phone vibrating in my hand snapped me out of my fantasy of my mom.
Mom

I walked into the hallway and pressed answer.

"Mom?"

"IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME BITCH! WHERE THE HELL ARE YA, YOU SKANK?! " my mother slurred over the phone. I cringed, feeling the tears prick at my eyes. It took her an entire week to realize I was gone. My fantasy slipped away as reality hit me. My mother still doesn't care. She's still a drunk. I was stupid for thinking any of it would change.

"HELLOOOO? EARTH TO RETARD?!?! " she yelled, stuttering on the last word. I could practically smell the booze on her breath through the phone.

"Yes mom?" I whisper to the phone.

"WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU AND WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GO?" she screamed. I decide to try and lie my way out.

"Momma, you said I could go on a class trip remember? I'll be home in a few months." I say, my voice breaking. I didn't want to go back. I never wanted to go back.

"DO YOU THINK IMA STUPID?? I WOULD NEVER SAY YES TO THAT SHIT. GET YOUR ASS HOME RIGHT FUCKING NOW OR I SWEAR TO GOD ILL FIND YOUR SORRY ASS AND KILL YOU BITCH!" She yelled and I hung up the phone and collapsed in the hallway. Sobs wracked my body as I cried into the floor, trying to keep it silent. I had no strength, not even enough to drag me into a bathroom. Her words had gotten under my skin, the way they always have.

I brought my knees to my she's and put my head down, letting my hair cover my legs. I felt arms wrap around me while I'm huddled on the floor.

"Luke? " I choke out between sobs.