Chapter Seventy-Two

Comincia dall'inizio

I walked into the hallway planning to look for Liam and Maggie but I quickly noticed they were nowhere to be found. However, once I actually began to search I found them rather quickly. They seemed to be having an intense conversation and Maggie looked upset. I wondered if it had to do with her mom. I didn't want to disturb them but they saw me and smiled waving me over.

"Is everything okay?' I asked cautiously.

"It's fine. I just made a C in one of my classes and mom was upset. She's going to tell dad and I didn't want that."

"Sorry," I frowned.

"It's not a big deal. How did things go with you?" she asked.

"They explained some things to me which I'd like to tell you later and not in the hallway. It's kind of a lot. They offered us to do a DNA test but I didn't want to do it."

"You didn't want to know gummy bear?" Liam asked.

"No, I don't want to know. I can't right now. I just want things to go back to the way they were."

"Ar-

"They told me if I ever wanted to change my mind they'd do it. They offered to tonight I just couldn't."

"It's okay. It's better your ready for it," Maggie comforted hugging me and I squeezed her gratefully before Liam joined in.

"So how did your conferences go?" I asked pulling away.

"Other than the C really good. Even Mrs. Hollowell was nice," Maggie smiled.

"Yeah, she was nice to me too."

"Speak for yourselves. She called me and Zayn the worst students she ever had in her class," Liam frowned.

"Did she really?" I gaped.

"Yes, and I could practically hear mom cracking the whip."

"She's not going to attack you with a whip," I laughed.

"We haven't gotten home yet. I'm probably going to be dead," he sighed.

"Tell her I love you too much," Maggie smiled leaning up to kiss him.

"I will," he said against her lips.

"Maggie!"

Carmen's angry voice sounded just down the hall and she had an angry look on her face as she approached us. Maggie pulled away from Liam though she kept her hand in his. I could tell she was embarrassed about her mom's yelling but there was little she could do about it.

"Hey Carmen," Liam tried but she ignored him.

"What do you think you're doing kissing him in the middle of the hallways like this? Is this what you doing school hours?"

"No, I-

"You need to be focused more on grades!"

"I know I-

"No, clearly you don't know. I think these friends of yours are distracting you too much.

"Mom-

"Don't interrupt me when I'm talking Maggie."

She shut her mouth a frown appearing on her face. I hated the way she was embarrassing her like this and not even giving her the chance to talk. A C was still a passing grade and she was clearly overreacting here. Liam had a frown on his face and I could tell he was about to speak. I didn't want to upset Carmen but I was glad he was going to intervene because Maggie didn't deserve this.

"Carmen I'm sorry but-

"Carmen? Are you Maggie's mom?"

Liam was interrupted by the sound of Miles's voice. I looked over in surprise and he had a polite smile on his face as he looked at her. Though she'd never done anything personally mean to me I hated the way she was with her daughter. The fact Miles was not a little bit afraid of her was impressive to me. She was nothing like our moms. She did a double-take as she looked at him.