of course - stephenxwill

i can't stop writing ab them😔 they're my favorite ship i'm soRry

———
stephen smiled as he ran outside, pulling his boyfriend with him. it was new year's eve and the boy was excited to watch the fireworks with his lover and friends for the first time.

"we're gonna be late, william!"

will chuckled as his boyfriend whined, pulling his hand towards his car. will didn't understand why today was such a huge deal to the ginger, it was just another day in the books to will.

"calm down, baby! our friends will be okay if we're a little late!"

after an hour of driving, and stephen's terrible singing, they were at the lake. stephen smiled widely, grabbing his backpack and making his way over, leaving poor will by himself. will smiled as he saw his friends, stephen already engaged in a conversation with alex about nothing special.

"hello!"

will hugged everyone, smiling and making basic conversation. he hummed as james made his way over, grabbing a beer from the cooler next to will.

"alex and stephen can talk to each other for hours, huh?"

"you got that right, mate!"

will laughed, shaking his head. stephen was always easy to talk to, confident as well. will was grateful that stephen mixed into his friend group so perfectly, like they've all known him for ages and vice versa.

will and james made small talk before george announced the fireworks were starting, catching everyone's attention. will stood, cracking his back as he walked over to where stephen was just minutes ago, not finding him. will furrowed his eyebrows as confusion filled him, then worry.

his heart raced as he couldn't find his lover, fraser walking over and pulling him to where the fireworks were, no one else phased. will worriedly kept his eyes on where the group's bags were, hoping for his ginger to appear.

will stood in the grass, gaze set on the dancing lights in the sky. wonder filled his mind as he watched the colours trickle down, vibrant against the blank sky. he sighed, standing to his feet and walking to the bathrooms nearby. he pushed the cold metal door open, revealing stephen staring into the mirror with tear stained cheeks.

will shut the door softly, walking over to his baby, and pulling him into a tight hug.

"hey, you're okay, ste."

stephen cried as a loud bang shook outside, followed by more and more. he felt absolutely terrible.

he felt his heart sink as his boyfriend cried into him, whimpering. will rubbed his back as stephen tries (HA) to explain what happened.

"i was really excited to be here, will. i love the atmosphere right now, everyone is happy and everything feels good. i just- i don't like the loud noises, will. i just wanted you to be happy. i was fine until the fireworks started, i panicked and ran in here. i'm sorry for not telling you, will."

will frowned, kissing stephen's head. stephen didn't have to apologize for anything, he needed to get away at that moment.

will felt a certain question gnaw at the back of his throat, begging to be asked.

"if you're scared of the noises, why did you come?"

"to make you happy."

"stephen, that doesn't make sense?"

stephen rolled his eyes, grabbing his backpack and opening it. he pulled out a small velvet box, will immediately knew what was happening.

"o-oh my god..."

"i was going to ask you as we watched the fireworks but i got scared..."

will didn't respond, he just grabbed his boyfriend's face, kissing him deeply. stephen gripped will's hand as he felt like he did when they first met. he was truly so in love.

"ask me right now, ste."

will pressed his forehead against his lover's, smiling widely.

"william lenney, will you do me the best honor and marry me?"

"of course, baby."