Arc 7-12: Yum, Brains!

CHAPTER 12: Cornered

"What the hell is that!?" Evelyn shrieks as she stares at the young woman's arm.

Allessandro's eyes also widen from surprise. "This wound... you-" horror slowly overtakes his features.

Cole sighs. "Relax. It's not a Zombie bite. She was bitten by a dog."

Allessandro rapidly shakes his head no. "That's definitely a Zombie bite!! The skin around it is greenish. It's already rotting!"

Both Claire and Cole were surprised.

So she really was bitten by a Zombie!??

How about that.

Claire licks her lips and speaks. "I'm still myself. Calm down, isn't there anything you can do?"

Allessandro suddenly turns quiet as he looks at Claire with curiosity. "This... shouldn't be possible."

"What's wrong?" Evelyn worriedly asks.

Allessandro approaches Claire's arm.

Everyone was silent as they watched him inspect the wound.

"Looking at the rate of zombiefication, you should have already lost your mind, unless...." He looks at her with sudden excitement.

"What? What's going on!?" Cole wanted to know why the guy suddenly grew so excited.

Allessandro clears his throat, calming himself down. "She must have developed some kind of immunity to the zombie virus! That's why your mind is still fine. Which means we can probably use your antibodies to create a cure!!"

Evelyn was shocked. "A cure!? Is that even possible!?!"

Allessandro grins happily. "Of course." He suddenly looks Claire in the eyes. "Are you in pain at all?"

"No." She replies.

He continues. "Nauseous? Dizzy? Drowsy?"

"Not at all."

"Have you blacked out? Collapsed? Fainted?"

She shakes her head no.

"This is really incredible!!" Allessandro was jumping for joy!

Cole frowns. "Sorry to burst your bubble, however you have to give me your answer. Can she be saved?"

Everyone suddenly grows solemn as they await his response.

Allessandro nods. "Of course!! Gimmie a month! No wait, 2 weeks!"

Cole shakes his head no. "Unfortunately we don't have that much time. She'll have to be inspected by the base soon. There is no way they won't notice the bite."

The atmosphere suddenly turns dire.

Allessandro clenches his fists. "Then give me a week. I'll get it done in a week. I'll promise you that." The determination blazing in his eyes was beautiful to see.