even the devil has a heart

I don't wait to see the kiss end. What a rude guest I am, interrupting his time with his lady.
I slam the door behind me. Where am I gonna go? Hell if I know. The only place I want to be is away from here.
Why do I feel this way? I've only known him for maybe 11 days. He means nothing to me.
Running down the stairs, tears prick at my eyes. Why shouldn't I ignore the stares I'm getting from other residents? They don't get it. Stop that right now. I tell myself.
It only gets worse.
I don't stop running until I reach the community pool in my complex. Surprisingly, no one's here today. Looking at the pool, I see in the reflection of it a crying girl who's denying herself.
Whatever.
I text Hanji, begging her to come back. She responds within seconds. My best friend knows not to question me in situations like this. I smile for how grateful I am for her.
From some distance, I hear footsteps. They seem to be coming towards me. Probably just someone wanting to swim.
I don't know many of the people here, so when I feel a hand on my shoulder, I jump.
"Oi."
You're the last person I want to see right now. I stop my emotions and ask him who that girl is.
He takes a seat beside me, criss-cross applesauce. What a child. "Someone from my past."
I sigh. "She's your girlfriend, isn't she?"
He fake-laughs, a laugh with disgust and amusement rooted inside. "She's a nuisance. I already told her to leave and she should be gone."
At that, a car cranks up not too far away from us and I assume that it's Petra. Good riddance.
Levi looks at me but I don't turn to meet his eyes. That's when he gently grabs my chin and turns it towards him. I didn't realize how close we were until now. "Let's go home."
My eyes drift away and I tell him, "I don't want to."
He lets his hand down and sighs. "You're acting weird, Y/N. What's up?"
I turn away from him. "It's nothing."
Hanji comes running up to us and worry plasters her face. She picks me up in a hug and asks what's happened. She lets me down so I can answer, but I only look over to Levi, hoping she takes a hint.
       "I called the landlord and he said he'll be here to unlock the door in less than an hour. He's also got a spare," her voice is never this soft.
       Levi gets up and takes me by the hand. "I'm sorry."

             ————time skip————

I'm back in Levi's apartment, even though I don't want to be. But I'm also the one who chose to stay here even after my door was unlocked.
       My heart hurts. A pit's forming in my stomach and chest and I can't breathe right.
       Levi takes notice of this and asks if I'm okay. Nothing makes sense to me.
       "I don't want you upset, brat. Cheer up." His attempt to "cheer" me up is utterly ridiculous.
       But a smile does form on my lips. "If you ever learn good social skills, maybe I'll consider your request,"
       He walks over to me and smirks while saying, "You're asking for it,"
       "What could you possibly be planning? Your brain size is the equivalent of a green pea," I laugh.
       This time his smile is genuine as he pulls me into a hug. "Tch. Shut up."
       Even though seeing what I saw hurt me a lot, I'm overjoyed to be held by Levi like this. I notice the kitchen counter is no longer contaminated by the flowers.
       "She and I dated a year ago. I thought she moved on. She took a hint when I kicked her out," the words that leave Levi's lips are ones that manage to release all of my negative feelings.
       "I understand," I tell him.
       He lets me go and looks into my eyes. Not for long though, as I notice his gaze lower until they stop at my lips. I glance at his. Then, we get closer,

and closer....
                            and closer...

       The door swings open. "AYYY WASSUUUPP!!!" A hyper Eren enters the apartment.
       Both of us are startled by this and we move away from each other instantly. Eren looks dumbfounded.
       "Did I interrupt something?" He asks slowly.
       "Tch. Who's asking?" The voice comes from Levi. Duh.
       "I'm Eren! Y/N's friend from elementary school!" He exclaims.
       Someone's head peeks out from behind him. Mikasa. "If you hurt Eren, I'll hurt you so bad that you'll forget what pain is," she threatens Levi.
       He responds with a scoff.
       Yet ANOTHER head pokes out from behind hers. A blonde one. "I-I'm Armin Arlert..." he says shyly.
       I smile at all of them. "Hey, come in!"
       Cleaning supplies are brought out from the large closet. Levi hands every one of them something and tells them, "Be useful."
       "Ughhhh!" They all say in unison.

——————————————————
846 words