Chapter 20

2 Months Later.

I wake up in the morning and stretch. "Tobias, wake up! I need help with the kids." I whisper in his ear. He unwillingly gets up and comes with me.

I go to the kids' rooms and wake them up. I walk into Hunter's room, and see him, awake, standing in his crib. "Mrf!" He shouts.

"Mommy?" I ask, pointing to myself. He nods. "Do you love Daddy?" I ask, pointing to Tobias in the doorway. "Jesh." He says. I smile, and pick him up, and set him in his playpen.

I walk to Maddie's room, and there she is, standing in her crib. "Momma!" She shouts. "Tobias! That was her first word!" I shout, grabbing his shoulders. He's crying, and hugs me. I go back to Maddie. "Yes. It's Momma. Can you say Daddy." I ask.

"D-d-d-dadd-d-ie." she says, a concentrated look sweeping across her face. "D-daddy." She says, this time more surely, grabbing Tobias's hand, which is laying on the edge of the crib. A tear from Tobias's eye hits her hand.

"Daddy?" She asks. "Daddy's so proud." He says, smiling. We put her in Hunter's playpen and go to Olivia.

She sleeps peacefully in her little bed. I run my pointer and middle fingers in circles on her small, fragile back. Her eyes flutter open.

"Mam, Da." She says. Hunter still can't really talk, but Olivia is on her way. I nod my head. I was about to say something, but I hear a rapid knocking on the door.

I run to the door, and open it to reveal Will.

"Chris...Tina...giving...birth." He says, trying to catch his breath. "Oh my god. Four take care of the kids. Chris is giving birth." I say, running out of the door in pajamas, which are just black leggings and one of Tobias's sweaters. I slip on my combat boots and follow Will.

I can hear Christina's screams as we open up the door to the lobby of the infirmary. She's in the same room I was in when I gave birth.

"Push. Push." The doctor says, waving his hand around in an 'I don't care, I'm just doing this for the money.' Look. He sure cares. Seconds later, I hear a cry. "It's a girl!" The doctor says. Chris is crying, and Will and I are too.

"I'd better be leaving. I want you guys to have your time as a family." I say, waving goodbye. I walk out, and see Peter.

"Did you just stab someone else in the eye with a butter knife?" I ask. "No. My wife just gave birth to our son." He says. I feel so bad for that kid. He has to grow up with a murderer as a father.

"Well, okay then." I say. I break into a full-out sprint when I stop talking to him. I get home seconds later, and tell Tobias all about Peter.

"I feel so sorry for the life that kid has to grow up with." Tobias says, and I laugh.