Chapter 22

The rancid smell of rotten flesh hit me like a wooden baseball bat. I slipped and fell onto a mess of red and grey and brown and green and a mix of a ton of colors. I screamed and struggled to escape from the detached limbs of the dead that seemed like they were wrapping around me preventing me from moving. I stopped struggling and stood up. I looked down at the ground and realized I was standing in a mass of dead bodies. Chopped and cut and strangled and sliced to bits. I threw up, and almost instantly began to feel sick again. I looked around at the bodies. The little girl lay, her neck cut and full of maggots. Clancy, his beaten body rotting and flys swarming around what once was his eyes. I could barely stand to look. The dismembered body parts were scattered about the area like they were the leaves cluttering the ground. This, this was something you would see in a horror movie. This was movie material, his shouldn't be here, this shouldn't have happened. I began to cry as I walked through the pile of the deceased. I looked at each of their faces. The eyes missing, the mouths open, the necks cut, the dried blood everywhere. The once living, breathing humans that had been so violently murdered. I bet they were all from Ryan, all of them. My stomach was not only sick from the sight, but also from the smell. It was so awful it was almost like I couldn't smell anything anymore. There were bugs swarming everyone, and even though it was cold, these bodies were not being froze or kept from rotting.

The sound of the truck was gone, but I could hear footsteps not too far off in the distance. I found the nearest tree that was tall and climbed as high as I could go. I hid my face behind a branch, but I could still see through it. The sound of crinkling leaves became louder. Soon Ryan's tall figure came into veil and I stopped breathing. It seemed like an eternity had passed before I realized, he wasn't looking for me. His only purpose of being here was to dump the girls dead body. I wanted to throw up again as he threw the limp, grey body onto the pile. Ryan was streaked with blood, with a few handprints on his chest. It was a dark brown, so he had waited some time before coming out here. As he threw her down, her barely attached, broken arm, snapped once more and fell off. I looked away cringing, feeling stomach acid rise up in my throat, demanding to be thrown up. I held it down and looked at him once more. How could he just do that to someone. What was in his head that made him think it was okay, in any world, to do that. What a sick man, a sick sick human being to do such a thing to all of these innocent people. Their had to be thirty dead bodies just right in front of me on the ground. His footsteps grew distant, I could no longrerhearcthensoft crunching of the leaves beneath his feet. My tears began to fall. I had forgotten about her and she had died. It hadn't even been her that had escaped, it had been me that had it harder for her, I was the reason she was dead. I couldn't bring myself to not feel guilty, because it was ultimately my fault. In the last seconds before I escaped I had told her what to do. But she was already scared and panicked before that. I should've grabbed her and lead her and maybe we would both be alive and free right now. She was dead.

Tears ran down my face and I wiped them away as fast as I could. I was cold, and having my face wet didn't help one single bit. I shimmied down the tree. The bark scraped my bare legs and arms as I somewhat slid, somewhat crawled down the tree. I dropped of the tree and examined my legs and arms, looking at the red marks. There was bruises all over my frail body. My bones showed. I was surprised I could still walk. I looked like a damn skeleton. I walked over to her broken body. The abundance of live she had been filled with before was now gone, never to return. I lifted up her head and shut her eyes, she still had a touch of warmth to her. That would be all gone soon, so would the fact she ever existed. I gently laid her head down on a pile of leaves I had put beneath where he head laid. The fresh blood dripped from her body, a bright red. He had beat her to death and crushed her skull. It looked like she had just got hit by a car, it was horrible. Her dismembered arm laid a few feet away. I half wanted to chase after hi and attack him, I half wanted to leave him be and save myself. A tear dripped off my face onto hers. I was hoping a miracle would happen, like in the movies. I wiped her cheek were my tear had fallen. That she would heal and come back alive because of my tears, but this was reality. Right now there was a part of me that wanted to stay strong and fight to stay alive, and there was a part that wanted me to give up and just die. Right now the part of me that wanted me to give up was definitely winning right now. I wanted to cry and scream and slit my neck like had happened to all these other people. I wanted to die and just go away from this place, I was so tired of all the death and destruction that had happened.

"I've lost everyone. My mom, dad, friends, the little girl, Clancy, the other girl, everyone in that town. I'm all alone."

I sobbed more than ever.

I heard a soft chuckle from behind me. I turned around.

"There there precious, we still have each other now don't we?"

Ryan was standing there leaning against a tree.