Metro and Kimpton

Start from the beginning

"So you can be something other than male or female," he spoke in awe.

"It's called non-binary. The binary genders are male and female."

"What if you were both?"

"Bigender."

"Is that binary since you're both?"

"No, you have to identify solely as male or female in order to be binary. There's a gender called gender fluid where some people identify as a male at one moment and then female another, but since they don't identify as only one gender every day, they're non-binary."

"Huh," he nodded. "I remember there being a time when I thought I was a woman, but a part of me knew that wasn't the whole truth. I knew I was a male, but I had a feminine side to myself that I knew I had to hide from the world. If my father ever saw me as someone who wasn't a man's man, I would be disowned and ruined."

"I'm so sorry," Blue murmured.

"At least you don't worry about it," he smiled. "It's nice to know the next generation is able to be themselves."

It had been a long time since a stranger spoke such kind words to them about their identity and who they were. It was comforting to know there were still people in the world who were kind enough to reassure people like themself that who they were was valid.

"I'm Blue," they said, holding out their hand for a shake as the train rolled up.

"Jared," he nodded, shaking their hand as well. "You never did tell me why you were by yourself."

"Heading to see my partner. My band is performing at one of his parties. I would have come with him, but we had a concert last night, so I'm heading up a day early to spend some time with him. He hates these parties, so I want to help ease him into it."

When Galactic Cannibalism found out they were going to be performing at the Blue Moon movie premiere party, everyone was ecstatic. Finally they were going to be taking the next step, a larger step, towards stardom. It was a dream come true, and they all could hardly wait.

"You're in a band?" the man questioned.

"Yeah."

"What are you called?"

"Galactic Cannibalism."

The man stared at them in confusion.

"It's when a galaxy eats another galaxy," they simplified.

"And your band is going to eat all the competition?" he smirked.

They snickered. "I like you. But the band is only temporary. I want to become a famous musician and tour the world and then settle down when I'm middle aged in order to open a music school that's affordable to low income families. It was difficult for me to pursue music as a child, but I never gave up trying. I don't want some family to give up on trying just cause they can't afford it."

"Quite a noble profession," the man spoke. "I admire that. I wish I could have done what I wanted to do as a child."

"And what's that?"

"Be an architect. I love the layout of buildings, and I have wanted to design my own ever since I was a child. I used to make 3D replicas, but they were always turned down by my father."

"I'm so sorry."

"I should have known," he said, shaking his head. "Ever since I was born, I knew my place in the family. One day I would take over the company, become the next president, and do stocks and trades for the rest of my life."