Chapter 10: A Tense Family Reunion

The survivors manage to reach the surface and survive the wreckage as the gather up their strength, coughing and spitting out water.

Billy: Mitchell, I think your idea worked.

Mitchell: Yeah, it did.

Walter: Oh, god, I think that's the last time I swim.

Blake: I hate the water.....I really fucking do.

Nathan crawls.

Kyle laughs.

Kyle: that was fun!

Sarah: What?

Kyle: Just saying....it was...

Blake looks around.

Blake: Everybody here?

Mitchell looks around, then at Nathan.

Mitchell: Zed?

Nathan nods. Mitchell sigh as Blake gives a saddened look at the loss of his uncle.

Blake: Uncle Zed......how am I going to tell Dad this?

Kyle touches Zed's shoulder.

Kyle: It's okay, kid....he didn't die for nothing...

Walter: Who's got a flare?

Mitchell: I do.

Mitchell pulls out a red flare gun and shoots it into the sky, signaling the Midtown Manhattan survivors

Mitchell: Our boys should see that and come get us...

Caleb: Beth....are you okay?

Beth: Yeah, it's just a flesh wound....I'll be okay....

Nathan: Kyle....

Kyle turns his head as Nathan uses finger gestures to signal Kyle to walk to him. Kyle does so as Nathan gives him a depressing look.

Kyle: You okay, Nathan?

Nathan: They....

Nathan sighs.

Nathan: They cornered us, man. Me and Zed. Those fucking bastards.......I tried....I managed to detonate the C4.

Kyle puts his hand on Nathan's shoulder. Nathan weeps.

Kyle: At least he didn't die in vain...you did all you could.

Kyle turns around as Nathan gives a distraught look, before he experiences flashbacks for Zed's death. Nathan comes to as Billy is calling him.

Billy: Nathan? You all right, son?

Nathan nods.

Nathan: Yeah...yeah, I'm fine.

Mitchell: Truck's on the way to come get us..

Nathan: Okay....

Nathan looks down, panting in grief. In the forest, Shawn and Catherine are sitting by a campfire with Catherine continuing to talk into her radio.

Catherine: This is Ramirez to Prime Zeus Corps...does anyone read me? (static from her radio) Shit.....don't supposed you brought any guitars to sing campfire songs or a tent?

Shawn: Isn't that your job? You're the expert on this environment shit....I did bring scary stories....Like Big Foot...and Jason Voorhees....

Catherine: Boy, you weren't even in your daddy's nut sack when those movies came out...

Shawn laughs.

Shawn: That was a low blow....My Uncle and my Dad.....they always took me camping though...back when my mom.....my brother.....when we were all together....all alive...Dad would tell us his war stories....they were great....they were legendary....I guess, I thought I could fill in his shoes someday...my Uncle Colin...he was more of a hunter....he was a better hunter...than he was a better bar tender....he saved my life from a cougar....that clawed my back up...