Chapter 13: Earthquake

At the Prime Kronos Facility, Barnes walks into a room, where a machine prepping the enhanced King Cobra serum is ready with Ryder and Olivia in the room.

Ryder: We're giving you a very high dose....but I need you disciplined and focused...first sign of any side effect, and you'll be pulled and off the team till you're clean....understood?

Barnes: Yes, sir.

Olivia: Alright, you'll get two separate infusions....muscle and bone....I'm going to full out warn you...the bone ones are going to hurt...bad...

Barnes is injected from both of his neck by the machine with the King Cobra serum. Barnes is the hooked onto a machine, where he is injected in his lower spine, causing him to grunt in pain. In the wasteland, the scavenging party comes across a ground hole, where the bones of many corpses are seen laying.

Blake: Shit, it's a fucking graveyard.....they've been torn apart....

Caleb: Yeah, but by what?

Kyle: Oh, we'll find out soon enough....where's the nearest town?

Cassandra: Uh....about fifteen more miles....north....

Nathan: Then we hit there, first....let's move out....

As the men move out in front of Nathan, he suddenly recognizes one of them and pulls the hat off, revealing to be Ashley.

Ashley: Just let me explain, Nathan...

Nathan: Jesus H fucking Christ, Ashley!

Nathan, angered, takes the rifle from Ashley.

Ashley: Hey!

Nathan: No...one of these guys is going to take you back to Midtown Manhattan...

Ashley: I just want to help...

Nathan: No....it's bad enough I have to have Sarah here....now, you?! I'm not giving you a fucking gun.

Ashley: You were younger than me when you had one.

Nathan: Dad trained me, okay?! That was different....

Ashley: I just want to help.

Nathan sighs, before he holds the rifle in front of Ashley, who grabs it.

Nathan: Stay close to us....and don't make me regret this....

The survivors walk through a forest, where multiple mutated insects are seen flying around, causing the survivors to swat at them. Beth, annoyed, opens fire on one the bugs.

Kyle: Hey! Beth! Hey! Conserve your fucking ammo! Save it for something bigger!

Beth sighs before walking, but then shoots a bug, before walking off.

Caleb: Beth!

Beth: What?!

The scavenging party walks out onto a caved in walkway, before most of the scavenging party decides to take a rest.

Beth: I'm too fucking tired.....I need a breather and my feet are killing me.

Midtown Manhattan Fighter: Same here.

Nathan: Hey. Hey....the fuck we doing? We can't take a breather...we've lost too much ground already, goddamn it...everyone get up!

Kyle: Nathan...they're not ready to quit, but if we keep pushing them, eventually they'll get exhausted and die.....cut them some slack. 

Kyle turns to scavenging party.

Kyle: All right, you've got ten minutes! Everyone stay where I can see you!