Chapter 3: Taking Back What's Yours

In one of the rooms, Shawn is trying to record himself while sitting down at a desk. Mark and Olivia are looking at samples of blood tissue. Shawn takes a deep breath.

Shawn: So here's day one of my first day back from hell. I got a tour around the facility. I've learned my Dad was murdered by the same man who I called my friend......Kyle.....after all we've been through.....he was like my brother.....speaking of brothers, I heard my little brother, James....is alive...at least, I hope he is....

Shawn turns his seat to Olivia and Mark.

Shawn: uh...is this right? I just say my thoughts into the camera?

Mark: Yeah, think of it like a movie...You're playing a lonely girl in this situation, where she has things she can't admit to no one else. This camera's like your best friend....I mean besides me.

Olivia: Well, what Mark is trying to say is you gotta have a positive attitude on this.

Mark: Plus, since you're working with people like Kronos Industries, you may wanna think thoughts into those logs.

Shawn: Okay....I can do that. 

Shawn turns his seat to the camera.

Shawn: So here's ol Shawn....a solider with or without a cause....watching science and feeling boredom.....but my boredom is happy because I know that little Jimmy's alive.....he always did have an intelligent mind....a sweet mind......

In the bio room, Catherine Ramirez is studying a sample of radioactive fluid as Mark, Olivia and Shawn walk into the link room.

Mark: Catherine Ramirez...

Olivia: One of our most gifted and talented physicians. She's been studying the green of the wasteland since the world turned to shit. She was a good friend of Dr. Ryan Fenix.

Shawn: I almost forgot about Dr. Fenix.....he and my Dad were close....fuck, man....this just-this just doesn't seem real.

Mark: We've been saying that since the damn bombs fell, bro.

The three approaches to Catherine, who takes her cigarette out of her mouth.

Olivia: Cathy, I'd like you to meet some people. This is Mark Schafer and Shawn Burton.

Catherine: Mark...I heard good things, very good things about you. I also hear you'll be the speaker in this operation.

Mark: Yes...uh....I was taught to negotiate the meanings of getting to some people. Mentally more than physically.

Catherine: Hmm....not bad, you should try learning some skills from a speaker around here named Bobby Klein. He used to be a civil rights lawyer.

Mark: Well, I'm hoping that in this operation, we can try speaking to the people of the wasteland to stray away from the path of violence.

Olivia: Uh...Cathy...I don't mean to interrupt, but...

Olivia points to Shawn.

Olivia: This is Shawn Burton. General Burton's son.

Shawn holds his hand out for a handshake.

Shawn: Ma'am, pleasure.

Catherine: nice to meet you, Sergeant Burton.

Shawn lets his hand down after Catherine introduces herself.

Olivia: Well.....I'm sure you guys will want to catch up.

Olivia walks off as Shawn, Mark and Catherine begin talking.

Catherine: So....Mark....you were trained to use your words, instead of your fists first. That's good. We could use some of that on the field.