DICIANNOVE

[ 1983 ]
the start of summer & a messy yet undeniable love

DICIANNOVE

love.

Kyong and Juwon's mother leans back on the couch, arms rested behind her as she sits comfortably- sprawling out her legs. an aching yet pathetic laugh escapes from her throat as the concept of love runs through her veins. she's drunk over love, both physically and emotionally due to her experience of the boys' father who left her for someone else- leaving her to fight her own journey.

she points a shaking hand at the TV screen- buffering with noises. "it's not like this at all!" the media's interpretation of love annoys the woman because of its artificiality. "it's all just lies!" the woman shrieks, not aware of her state and sudden burst of sentiment.

Juwon stands behind the couch, arms crossed as he watches woefully- seeing his usually cheerful, astonishing mother have rare episodes of hatred towards love, relationships and not being able to fully move on from her disgusting partner leaving her, makes him boil with enrage and want to hug her tightly.

"it won't last long." Juwon advises Kyong as they watch their mother- feeling nothing but hatred for their father. they know her episodes are never lengthy but instead needed for her to understand her spine-chilling emotions.

meanwhile at the other house, next door, Marco's family gets ready for the day. it's early morning and the breadwinner of the house collects his lunch, filling up a water bottle before leaving the house to work for his family. the female lead makes sure her children brush their teeth, get changed and eat breakfast before they go to school. the three girls leave the house at different times, waving and mumbling see you later's as the house empties.

the oldest sibling Marco wakes up a few hours later, in the comfort of his bed and to an empty house. he rubs his sleepy eyes, pushing off the covers with his prolonged legs. he likes not having to put an alarm on, sleeping in not too late and relishing the holidays as they pass.

Marco sits up, umber eyes hooded as they gaze outside- leaning up with his elbows rested on the mattress. he cranes his neck and perceives the man picking peaches and apricots, their freshness dripping from the trees before bringing them to his charitable, helpful mother.

Marco straightens his back against his bed, lying and staring at the ceiling as he takes a moment to himself in the morning. the birds sing, the sun shines, the chatter arises and Marco places his ring decorated hand on his bare stomach- lying shirtless in his safe space, thinking about one person only.

and he quickly takes his hand out of his pants, realising what he's doing as his body warms up instantly.

Marco sighs, burying his face in his pillow as he thinks about how he hasn't seen Kyong for so long. the childish, undeniable good looking boy is avoiding Marco and it's irritating him. Kyong is too busy being a 'good' boyfriend which is amusing because every time Marco touches his lips, he's reminded just how much Kyong loved having his hands and lips on him.

//

"what's this for again?" Marco's dad asks, drinking a glass of milk as he watches his quiet wife fiddle with the scarf around her sons neck. "you look daft in this costume." he remarks, making Marco glare at him.