NOVE

[ 1983 ]
the start of summer & the start of love

NOVE

Marco shows his ticket to the bus driver before carrying his bag of books from the library precisely.

he spent the morning inside, leaning against book shelves as he flicked through books- trying to find pages of information he could study from, to assist with his degree. books on animations, movie scripts, directing, producing, all piled up in minutes. Marco definitely struggled to carry them all, which is why he's glad he brought a bag.

he succeeded in distracting himself for a couple of hours at the inaudible library but when he was left alone again, without the presence of books in aisles, his thoughts were back- hazy with him having a crush. Marc sighs because he really doesn't want one ... ever.

but why can't Marco resist Kyong?

then he spots the animator, his despairing crush pending for Marco to notice him. Kyong pats the seat beside him on the bus and they sit together- bumping shoulders and concealing smiles as the bus starts to move.

Marco watches Kyong as he scribbles in his notebook, balancing coloured pencils in between his fingers. it's evident that animating is made for Kyong, he's artistic and innovative which makes Marco plunge deeper and deeper. he wants to know what he likes to draw, what he struggles with, is it a coping mechanism, has he always dreamt of being an animator, what infuses him?

you're always on my mind- your good looks, your winsome smile, everything that you do makes me want to know more and every time i'm in your presence .. i'm in a daze of how close i am to you, how uplifted i become and how i simply cannot resist you because you're taken and not mine.

//

Marco's parents are popular in Italy and they're also fans of summer.

just like Marco, they revel in the days lasting longer as the sun stays in the sky radiating its warmth and the people of Italy feeling exceptional.

so once again, his parents are throwing a party in the beginning of summer, a smaller one that their three daughters and son prefer. it's a party for the family's loved ones- close friends, not the gossip filled families and the neighbourhood that always feels embraced when arriving to the prevailing, easygoing place.

Marco's parents are sociable people- they're extroverts with personalities that hold reputation. Marco's mother talks with confidence, sometimes interrupting people but due to her talkative nature, she's friends with everyone. although sometimes, her mouth can get her into trouble which her husband warns her about. Marco's father is more reserved but patient and sympathetic, even with strangers as he shoots a youthful smile.

usually, parties are something Marco doesn't mind. he enjoys socialising with people- his parents often compliment him on his secure greetings, shaking hands and asking people how they are, what they've been up to. Marco usually doesn't drink unless he's wretched, needy and fraught, he prefers to dance, play the piano and spend the night getting inspired in little ways like, through peoples conversations.

but the sight he was watching tonight, on a lonesome, blatant night .. made Marco want to drink away his sentiments, notions and memories.