DUE

[ 1983 ]
the start of summer & the start of love

DUE

Marco's mother claps her hands together as she notices the family around the dinner table. "so i can officially announce that the neighbours are lovely!" she says, wanting to inform with a smile.

not for long- Marco's father mumbles and his son catches his roaming gaze as they share a sneaky laugh.

Marco's mother ignores her husband- used to his bickering and teasing, after several years, even decades. "i had a long chat with the mother-" which isn't a surprise to anyone. "and she's quite young, easy going and i know for a fact that we're going to be great friends!"

then Marco's father makes the mistake of opening his mouth again. "she says that about everyone-" and before he can finish his sentence, his wife hits him on the back of his head playfully.

Harlow's extensive eyes wander around the room, eating her dinner sluggishly. "what about the two boys? will they disturb me when i'm riding my bike?"

"not at all!" their mother replies, feeding Vega- even though she's six .. she's spoilt. "the oldest is called Juwon and he's hilarious! Marc take some tips yeah?"

Marco is offended. "i am hilarious." he defends himself.

the whole table laughs, shaking their heads in disagreement and Marco can't help but frown cutely. his once confident humour simmers down and he thinks about the one time he made his friend Oscar laugh to make him feel better. that was a proud moment- he gives himself a high five when thinking about his gummy smile after saying something stupid.

Marco isn't sure about the boys next door, especially the one who appeared out of the taxi looking majestic. he doesn't want to acknowledge the authentic attraction he felt towards the stranger so he chooses to ignore it completely.

"and the youngest, black haired one-" his mother starts.

"Kyong?"

his mother nods and places dishes into the sink. "yes, how do you know?"

Marco feels sweat forming on his palms and his words come out stuttered. he's not sure why he's having such a reaction, but isn't surprised due to the daunting nature of his mother. "i heard his mom say his name before?"

and it's true, he did. he heard the way his name sounded from his mothers mouth- a tone of blissful reunion and wondered what it would sound like from his own lips- Kyong. would it be the tone of antipathy, hatred, desire, companionship? he'd have to interact with him one day but how could a foreigner .. a male stranger be so dreamy? it's distasteful.

"well he's the same age as you!" his mother beams in cheer. that's great. "you're both on summer break too. you can get to know each other!"

Marco avoids eye contact and shoves food into his mouth. summer break? the countless months he has free, to fill his boredom with movies, books and music? dream of falling in love? and now his mother expects him to become best friends with his similar neighbour?

Teodora furrows her brows. "wait! summer break?" she asks.

"yep." Marco grins- knowing he has a longer holiday.