UNDICI

[ 1983 ]
the start of summer & the start of love

UNDICI

Jaylen and his boyfriend came to hang out with Marco. they engaged in a lively, much needed conversation sat on the swing of the placid porch.

JAYLEN
so what's this news about your neighbour?

JAYLEN
why haven't you told me?

JAYLEN
WHY DID MY BOYFRIEND HAVE TO TELL ME ABOUT MY BEST FRIENDS CRUSH

MARC
it's just a crush it's nothing important

OSCAR
keep telling yourself that lmao

MARC
shut up

JAYLEN
you haven't had a crush on anyone in forever ... this is big

MARC
it's not, i never asked for this

MARC
crushes are shit and never lead anywhere and he's straight

OSCAR
if they didn't lead anywhere me and Jaylen wouldn't be together

JAYLEN
there's no harm in trying

MARC
he's taken bros

MARC
he's my neighbour

MARC
my family thinks i'm straight

MARC
it's better if i stay away you know?

OSCAR
i understand

JAYLEN
i love you tho 🥺

MARC
i love you too

//

Marco sits in his room, piles of books around him, pen tucked behind his ear- escaping to his secure place. shouts of disagreement, elevated voices and muffled noises fill his ears as his parents argue downstairs.

a typical disagreement between a heterosexual couple, being handled through shouting which helps?

Marco closes his bedroom door with his leg as silent Harlow walks into the room- knowing the situation and holding a colouring book in her hand. she joins Vega and Teodora on the carpet, crayons around them. their aged brother makes sure his siblings are all in his room, away from the drama because of his fathers tendency to get aggressive in arguments and his mothers bickering which fuels the fire of the disordered situation.

an hour passes, things quieten down as the clock strikes ten at night.

"Marco!" his mother shouts. Marco waits for the reason she's calling him and nothing comes so he's obliged to yell- what?

"Kyong's here."

why?- is Marco's first thought. his siblings leave the room, wandering downstairs to their parents that are no longer arguing. Marco stays seated on his book filled bed, noticing how his heart is racing at his neighbours name and wondering what on earth Kyong would want from him.

so Marco jumps off his bed which makes books fall onto the floor. he takes a hasty look at himself in the mirror- sweatpants and a striped shirt that's way too short for him, and he makes his way downstairs before opening the door.

and Marco doesn't know what to focus on- the hulking rain or Kyong.

"hey you alright?" Marco asks, raising his voice a little so Kyong can hear him over the rainfall. his hand holds the door knob, eyes gazing over the neighbour dressed in ripped jeans.

yeah- leaves Kyong's lips. "do you want to watch the rain with me?"

and Marco smiles wide. he wasn't expecting Kyong to say that. how could he forget his neighbour was also a hopeless romantic? watching the rain? Marco feels honoured and would never decline such an offer with nature.

Marco leans against the door. "you have courage." he states.

"what?"

"if you asked anyone else they would be like what the fuck?" Marco answers, amusement in the tone of his voice as they share a laugh.

then Marco steps outside, catching Kyong off guard as their chests bump into each other. "you're lucky i'm a hopeless romantic." he shrugs.

so the fated couple sit on Marco's porch, watching the rain in silence- one that demands to be felt and is needed due to the unspoken but knowing words intertwined into the boys space.

Marco loves to teach, especially about things he loves which is why he can't resist talking about the detestable rain. "it's hot rain." he states, gesturing with his hand as he crosses one leg over the other. "it doesn't make you sick."

Kyong nods, slumping in his chair. "i love the rain." he smiles.

and i don't- Marco thinks.

and it's ironic how both boys smile, wanting to dance in the rain.