VENTOTTO

[ 1983 ]
the middle of summer with a hopeful love and giddy smiles

VENTOTTO

it's the next morning and breakfast is being served.

the table is filled with warm, scrumptious and carefully made treats- purchased donuts, flipped pancakes, maple syrup, chocolate sauce, buttered toast, seething tea and coffee, sizzling meat and a can of beans. Marco's eyes nearly jump out of his sockets at the thirsty sight.

when him and Kyong strolled downstairs with slumped shoulders and drowsy smiles, they mumbled good morning and didn't expect such a surprise. they hadn't slept enough which they blame themselves for but the early morning breakfast was worth everything.

Marco doesn't remember the last time he had a breakfast like this.

holy shit- Marco and Kyong both scoff in delight. they watched as the older brother Juwon and his benevolent mother set the gigantic table.

Kyong's mother spots the dismayed boys and Nolan who walks in through the front door. she gestures for them to take a seat. "oh boys! morning. take a seat." she smiles ever so kindly.

Marco eyes his cousin who responds with an eyebrow raise before everyone obliges and takes a seat. it's the start of a splendid day.

"aw, everyone's here." Kyong's mother states, fondness lacing her tone as she looks around the table- all she sees are young, benign and loving men that she's grateful to know. her sons and their friends. in the moment, she feels happy to have moved away and to the place of Italy. her nature is to treat people, whether that's with her food or actions. "it makes me so happy." she beams honestly.

Marco stares, not eating like the other boys at the table. he's trying to look through Kyong's mothers facade- what does she think of him? what's going through her mind? is she okay?

he doesn't know what to say or do but all Marco knows is that he needs to address yesterday. "miss, i-" Marco starts in desperation. Kyong reaches out to stop him but it's too late.

"Marc, it's okay." Kyong's mother squeezes his hand from across the table. Marco

no one says anything else because the atmosphere does it for them. it's filled with stashed acceptance, knowing affection and a need to be okay.

Marco thinks about Kyong's mother's reassuring smile, hand hold and how her two words were exactly what he wanted to hear. it's okay. he feels loved and accepted at the table, in the early hours of the morning.

Marco eats his breakfast and stops to play with the shiny fork on the plate. a dejected ache forms in his chest when he realises he can't have this feeling forever with the one he loves. everything is full of temperance anyway.

//

Kyong walks outside, onto his porch- inhaling the aroma of cutting wood, fresh leaves and sandy rocks. he's reminded of the sea- he hasn't visited the Italian one Marco always talks about. he wants to go with him one day.

the young boy expects to see Marco on the porch but he isn't present which is a strange surprise. he normally looks across and sees the older, scribbling on paper and biting his pencil.