epilogue: part uno

[ 1988 ]
FOUR YEARS AFTER

EPILOGUE (1)

Kyong, the solitary, starry and young boy had returned.

after studying in America for a degree he truly wanted, he was back. Kyong greeted others with a swift wave of his hand and a charming smile. he knew he was charming. so did the other men and women as he strolled out of the occupied airport with a casual satchel.

he was enjoying being back in Italy. as soon as he stepped out of the airplane, he felt like he had truly returned home. all he needed was his astonishing brother and mother. Kyong's arrival was sweet and lonely as he wanted. polite Ciao's and sunglasses covering his eyes as he wandered outside, looking for a free taxi.

but something came knocking into his charm and carefree nature very quickly. a familiar, forgotten girl was standing in front of him, smirking.

"Alaya?"

"you're damn right." the ex girlfriend answers and flicks her hair over her shoulder. she's glad to have caught Kyong right on time. her smirk and delight disappears when he starts to run swiftly away from her.

"Kyong." her smooth voice calls out. she stays glued to the spot, knowing he'll come back to her, wanting to know why she's here. "Kyong, please give me a chance." Alaya stands in front of him, arms crossed as she watches his frown, nervous nature as he shifts uncomfortably. he really doesn't like her does he?

"i don't want to talk to you."

"Kyong, just... please."

"it was you, wasn't it?" Kyong snaps, the silence fierce.

Kyong lets his bag fall to the floor, beside his light suitcase. "why couldn't you have kept your fucking mouth shut for once?" his voice is rough, laced with loathing for a talkative, deadly woman he thought he once oddly loved.

"wow look at you." Alaya scoffs, uncrossing her skinny arms. "you could never speak up to me before and here you are, i deserve it." she shrugs.

Alaya keeps a risk-free distance between her and her changed ex boyfriend. she's aware she shouldn't have tried to talk to him as soon as he came back but she had to. life is too short to not tell people how you feel. "i understand why you don't want to listen to me." she states. "but i've been trying to find you for so long."

"you made me weak." Kyong reminds her. made.

"i'm sorry for how i treated you." Alaya breathes out. she's changed too. she feels more that's for sure. seeing Kyong still affected by her makes her feel terrible internally. but externally, she doesn't bother to show she cares.

"and yes it was me." Alaya assures him. "you knew it was me and i'm sure Marco does too. yes, god, it was me! i'm the one who told his parents about his sexuality. i'm the reason he got kicked out of his home and disowned."

Kyong is fuming. he tries to control his anger with clenched fists and avoided eye contact. he still hates her and he's certain he always will. her words make it worse. "you shouldn't have Alaya. that was not your thing to control!"

Kyong rushes his calloused fingertips through his dingy hair. he's displeased, annoyed and guilty. "why did you do it? god, what's wrong with you?" he groans, stepping away. "do you know how much you ruined?"

Alaya pleads, hands reaching out for the gloomy boy she wrongly treated. "i was so happy to see you being young, wild, free and reckless." she professes. Alaya saw everything he didn't know she saw- him laughing so hard he cried, nose scrunches, going to the beach, treasuring the environment around him, all with Marco by his side. "i saw it, don't worry. i saw what you both magically had and it was amazing for both of you. it was such a nice sight because you were always so closed off and quiet around me." she remarks quietly.

Alaya continues, accepting Kyong's attentive silence. he's listening carefully and she sees nostalgia swimming in his tawny orbs. "you opened up more with Marco. he made you happy. he made you comfortable and safe yet adventurous at the same time."

Alaya fiddles with her fingers. their love that she witnessed, even she knew, it was meant to be more and deserved better. sadly, she may have done something wrong but in her impulsive heart, it felt right. "but there is a sense of enjoyment i have in ruining people's lives." it's what she does, it's all she truly knows.

"it's not right." Alaya agrees with Kyong's opinion. "i have a lot to change ... i know that." she speaks, voice low as she feels her nerves increase.

"i know it's hard to see but i did it for you." Alaya clears her throat, tightening her earrings as she stares at Kyong who's silent, unable to look at her. "Marco was trapped in his marriage that happened way too fast and telling his truth was setting him free. yeah, he lost his family but he's great now- living with Nolan's accepting family and his friends. he can be who he wants to be now!"

"i wish everyone had a mother like yours and Juwon's but it's impossible." Alaya has always admired their mother. she wished for one like her too.

"he may have lost everything but he really didn't." Alaya reassures, hands clasping in front of her as she says everything she's prepared. "he just found out who truly cares and loves him."

"he still has his siblings, he still sees them." Alaya mentions. she knew what she was doing when she sent an anonymous letter to Marco's family. it's the 1900's, being gay was unacceptable in society. "all he needs now is ... you. isn't it obvious?" she seeks a meaningful answer but Kyong won't say anything.

"i know i've never done anything good by you but please. see this as a push for Marco. i had to push him otherwise he would've regretted it."

Kyong sighs. it was his moment and you took it away from him. "it wasn't your choice to make." he declares.

Alaya nods. "i never do anything for others but you two should be together."

//

Kyong's right !!!!
marc deserved to have his own time to come out to whoever, whenever :( i wanted to include this mainly because i feel strongly about lgbtq+ people being able to have their own rights and freedom. nowadays, people think it's acceptable to take that away and to out people.