TRENTUNO

[ 1983 ]
a longing summer of temporary love

TRENTUNO

double dates.

Marco has never been on one and now that he sits across from Nolan and Juwon, he realises why. he doesn't know why he thought it would be a good idea because he sees enough of the older men flirting and being intimately close next door, almost every day.

they're at a lively diner they've visited before. the same one Arthur works at. the four of them were hoping he wasn't working today but he is. luckily, he avoids them and they do the same too.

Marco can't help but smile a giddy smile when he looks across at Juwon playing with Nolan's messy hair, idealistic looks shared between the good looking men as his own hand interlocks with Kyong's under the table slowly.

secret couples in a diner.

"look how far we've come." Juwon says, feeling proud of the boys.

Nolan agrees, looking for a glass to make a toast but their food hasn't been served yet. "you have literally come quite a distance to start a new life." he mentions with appreciation.

Juwon, Kyong and their single mother travelled a far distance to start a new life. there was bravery in their brazen decision since they had no idea what would happen, if they'd settle down or if they'd have to move again.

but they did it anyway. the outcome was favourable.

"a new life, a new us." Juwon states- the words in his mouth taste relieving. he finally knows what it feels like to be home. "it's what was needed for everyone." including his once fearful mother. her opinions and beliefs have changed. she no longer cries about the man that left her and her children. she's empowered.

"we can't change the past but we can change the future." Juwon's words are filled with candor and meaning. the boys around him, look at him with astonish- he's being very serious.

as Nolan smiles, smug about his boyfriends attitude, Marco and Kyong feel quite the opposite. the concept of the disappointing future makes the couple feel unusual and nervous after their untidy talk. it's something that needs to be discussed further yet they'd rather avert it at all costs.

swaying drinks arrive at the table- good timing. "you're right." Marco agrees with an agreeable smile. he wants to savour his time out with the people he loves- he wants to forget. "here's to Juwon, Kyong and their mother for changing their lives around and moving to Italy!" because if they didn't, his life would be empty. he needs his neighbours.

Marco glances at Juwon's face- shrewd jawline, fluffy hair and sanguine eyes, Nolan's doting, dimpled smile and lastly, his eyes land on his Kyong with dark hair and dark eyes and a heart, so golden yet somehow made for him. "me and Joon are so happy to have you in our lives. please never leave." and their glasses make contact bashfully.

//

Nolan parks his car at the gas station as Juwon follows him.

the older couple are too busy flirting as they fill the car up. flirtatious looks, occasional shoulder nudges and darling smiles. it's all so obvious to anyone.