QUATTORDICI

[ 1983 ]
the start of summer & the start of love

QUATTORDICI

Marco's mind loves to swirl around plots for movies everyday.

he sits on his porch, one leg crossed over the other as his hand pangs from writing notes about different movies. comedy, tragedy, horror, thriller .. his mind is filled with so many ideas but not enough motivation or heroism to direct such remarkable, personal plots to him.

romance ... is a genre he never likes to include in his notes but Marco has come to the realisation that love is present in every aspect of life.

it's a prompt night for everyone at the Reyes house. it's staggering, dreaded Monday tomorrow which is why his family is sleeping and Marco isn't due to his overlong summer break. his sleeping schedule involves sleeping late and waking up early which he rejoices.

Marco plays with the end of his sweatshirt and stares out into the darkness of the vast area in front of him. then, the weather surprises the man as warm, wild rain starts to fall weightily.

Marco may not like the rain but the calming aura it brings, due to its sight and sound is acceptable. it brings him stimulation to carry on so he averts his eyes back to his book.

that's until Marco hears the neighbours door click open, followed by Juwon's rowdy voice shouting- where are you going? and steps are heard.

Marco watches the scene take place, immediately distracted. Kyong runs out of his house, murky shirt coating his chest and sweatpants covering his legs. he rushes so much that his laces become untied, dangerous if he walks any further. his filthy trainers take him outside, ignoring his older brothers protests as he jumps into the rain. his ebony bangs turn into wet curls, sticking against him and his eyes .. god his eyes, hold the galaxy as the light of a young, carefree individual runs around in the familiar swirls of hazel.

Kyong is dancing in the rain, loving life and getting soaked.

"you're crazy!" Juwon screams, crossing his prolonged arms as he watches his brother from the stale, vacant porch.

Marco monitors Kyong- feeling the innocence he once felt when he was a child. the same feeling reflects in Kyong's eyes, swaying arms, jumps, puddles of water beneath his feet, droplets trickling down his cheeks and his beaming smile. Kyong is twirling around merrily, feeling the sweltering rain as it falls.

Kyong stops when he notices intrigued Marco watching him from the porch. "what are you doing?" he asks, raising his voice- still standing in the heavy rain as he stays frozen.

"writing stories." Marco answers, standing up after placing his book and pen onto the empty seat.

Kyong is giddy with innocence, yearning and bliss. it makes Marco want to kiss him. "stop writing about me and join me." he demands, waving his ring adorned hand at flustered Marco.

how does he know i was writing about him?

Marco plays hard to get. "i don't want to get sick." he replies.

"you told me the rain in Italy doesn't make you sick?" he questions.

"i lied."