QUINDICI

[ 1983 ]
the start of summer & the start of love

QUINDICI

Marco subsumes the way pain floats into his life abruptly.

he uses the hurt he gains for his writing- his realistic stories. they bring him incitement and inspiration. some would say it's crazy but pain and suffering is part of the human experience.

that's why Marco continues to watch the boy he kissed last night walk up the path with his girlfriend. Kyong's dressed in double denim, hands in pockets as he walks side by side with her- the two of them acceptable in society.

it's about her and not Marco.

Kyong and Alaya look like they're having an irritating argument. hands in the air, hushed whispers, rolled eyes, a gap of distance between them and turning to each other occasionally. Marco tries not to get too excited at the thought of having Kyong to himself. one kiss has him ready to do anything.

unfortunately, they only looked like they were fighting because they started to kiss seconds later. Marco's lips turn into a frown as they start to make out- reminding him of last night.

Marco doesn't appreciate the wound he feels in his heart which is why he looks away from his bedroom window. those same lips kissed me?

but when Marco looks again, his eyes stop to stare at the daring, cerise hickeys laying on Kyong's neck. Marco's hickeys, Marco's marks. the night before was still clear as water.

//

another hectic party is being thrown by Nolan and unruffled, sophisticated and welcoming Marco arrives, dressed in satin and shorts- no intention of getting drunk or kissing anyone. he's here for his friends only.

Marco leans against the bar, sipping on his lemonade. he watches the man he's been thinking about all day as he dances. Kyong's dancing and he isn't alone on the dance floor.

Marco's eyes narrow with fierceness when he spots Jaylen- his best friend, dancing with his now hopeful crush (Kyong did kiss him back after all).

their bodies move, maintaining a distance between them as they enjoy each other's presence in the late, torrid night of the start of a astonishing summer. Jaylen's mouth is open as he speaks more than the younger, smiles on each other's faces as they find cheer in their night out.

Oscar appears by Marco's side- knocking his shoulder purposely. "since when did this friendship happen?" Marco immediately asks, gesturing towards the new friends. Jaylen's always been sociable like Marco- he's never had a problem with it and has always admired their similar qualities but when it involves his crush, he wants him gone.

Oscar shrugs, finishing his glass of alcohol. "i think it's cute?" he laughs.

Marco wishes he was as carefree and mysterious as his dear friend Oscar. he looks towards the lively dance floor, watching his elegant, confident best friend and quiet, reserved crush dance together. why does he feel so jealous? "what's cute is Jaylen's pink hair." he scoffs, wanting to compliment Jaylen's soft pink hair and denim outfit but he's in too much of a bitter mood to do so.