VENTISETTE

[ 1983 ]
the middle of summer with a hopeful love and giddy smiles

VENTISETTE

everything is not what it seems.

Marco and Kyong may have confessed their genuine, undeniable and crazy love for each other but let's not forget that this occurred in a old fashioned, traditional yet changing world. things are not meant to be easy.

but Kyong's mother was present when the scene occurred.

both boys turned around- not expecting to see anyone as jolt deepened in their brown eyes at the presence of Kyong's mother. the shock was evident on her face too, with her dry lips parted and the inability to move. they were prepared for a loud voice or a damn slap.

but Kyong's mother snaps out of her sudden trance before breaking eye contact with a tearful Kyong and a brave Marco. "hi boys!" she greets enthusiastically- like her usual self. "i'm sorry to disturb you. i'm just going to quickly put these peaches away that your mother gave me Marco. don't mind me, i'm going-"

she pushes past them, bags struggling in her wan hands. the mother of two ends up dropping several peaches to the floor, bruised now as she bends down to pick them up.

"let me help you with that." Marco immediately rushes to help her, making her stand up and picking up the soft fruit for her. he places them back into the bag precisely, smiling at her.

Kyong's mother has always admired Marco for the considerate, modest and loyal being he is. she's been really thankful for her new, family like neighbours. she smiles at him, appreciative of his excellent help and friendly attitude. "thank you, oh thank you so much!" she scurries to the empty kitchen, astound and tenseness still lacing her fatigued eyes. "i'll see you later." she leaves, not looking back.

the boys don't know what to say to each other. her reaction wasn't good or bad- it didn't give much away. it's left them with an restless feeling.

Juwon walks into the house shortly after, carrying bags of groceries too. he must've been out with his mother. he examines the young boys' state.

"she knows huh?"

//

Marco arrives at the diner- the one Arthur works at. he's not here to eat or take pictures of the carmine, neon lights that bring a approachable aura to the food place. he's here to talk seriously.

"hey man." Marco greets Arthur when he spots him at the front counter. he's dressed in his expected uniform, hair pushed back by a red cap as he scribbles onto paper.

Arthur is alarmed at the sight of Marco. he hasn't seen the boy in a long time. they've stopped going to parties as much. his eyes fill with surprise as he stops writing, waving his hand awkwardly. "hey ... you're here to shout at me right?" he asks, knowing what's coming.

Marco can't help but think about how the last time they saw each other was when Arthur caught him and Kyong making out in the bathroom. a smirk almost slides onto Marco's lips- what a moment that was. so sensual, so exhilarating and so messy. at the time, he thought Arthur was homophobic.

now Marco doesn't know what to believe.

"no man." he denies the shouting assumption, shaking his hand. Marco is about peaceful communication- plus, he's in no place to raise his voice and get angry. Jaylen wouldn't do that so why should he? "i- this is awkward because the last time we saw each other-" he decides to honestly blunt.