UNO

[ 1983 ]
the start of summer & the start of love

UNO

the skies were painted turquoise the morning the neighbours had arrived.

Marco feels vigilant, productive because the weather inspires him to start his day early and get things done and by things he meant chores, read books, pick his siblings up from school, research the theatre and filmography and eat peaches whilst laying in the colossal garden.

he opens the blinds in his bedroom, taking a moment to stare at the rainless sky- painted in a singular shade of blue, matching the ocean he so badly missed. it made him think about a painting he created last year, it wasn't his most proudest work but the shade of blue he had made using acrylic paints of the colour blue and white, made him feel satisfied.

for a moment, he misses the feeling of painting and wishes he had enough time but even in summer, he forgets.

but the ocean is something that's been on his mind for a long time. the last time he went was two years ago- the summer when he had turned sixteen. in Italy, you'd expect the golden sand and its calming waves to be in walking distance but unfortunately for Marco, it's an hour away. he doesn't have the energy to take the stuffy bus or ask his parents to drive him because he'd much rather be alone when greeting the ocean and it's presence- he'd much rather be at one with himself.

he makes his bed, making sure the room is orderly with his several pillows. his parents love to decorate the house whenever they can, changing up things and buying objects randomly to match the colour scheme of the large house. his mother especially likes the idea of several pillows, on beds, on couches, for appearance.

Marco closes the door of his bedroom, checking his watch to see that it's now 12 pm and he still hasn't had breakfast since he woke up too late. but he's proud of himself for planning out his things to do for the day and getting changed.

he's startled when walking into the kitchen to see his father. usually he's at work and then Marco remembers he has the week off as a holiday.

the older man who likes to think he's still young, walks around the fairly hefty kitchen with a sizzling pan in his hand- the smell of an omelet filling the air. he notices his son by jumping in surprise as he sits at the table on his phone.

"Marc you're awake?"

mhm- leaves Marco's lips as he eyes his fathers omelet.

the older man notices, glaring at Marco with amusement. "that's mine. stop. there's leftover toast from your sisters this morning, there you go!" he points to a covered plate with a tricky smile.

"fine then, old man." Marco mumbles and sits beside him after retrieving the pieces of frigid toast with a cup of cold water to quench his thirst.

"oh say that all you want." his father says, still chewing his food. "it doesn't change the fact that i'm still better looking than you." he raises his brows.

"get over yourself." Marco's mother walks in, stopping him from speaking and it brings delight.

Marco can't help but smile, biting into his cold toast as he feels the affection between his parents on rare occasions like this, gazing at the family picture on the kitchen table- missing his younger siblings as his feet swing.