epilogue: part due

1988
FOUR YEARS AFTER

EPILOGUE (2)

the usually occupied library has been closed in order for a gifted, peculiar and prevalent animator to initiate his awaited, stirring book signing.

the animator is young, dusky hair pushed back due to stress, eyes bright with passion as he takes a seat at the square shaped table. Kyong's scarlet lips turn into a wide smile when he notices the queue of fans standing outside, books pressed against their chests as they wait for him to wave. he does, causing cheers and idolizing smiles to overflow his view.

Kyong clasps his scrawny hands on top of the table, fitting his fingers safely together as he looks at his decorating, silver rings. he gazes at the pens, markers and pencils laying on the table as the staff around him help him to prepare for the event. he hadn't realised just how many fans wanted him to sign the front page of his book- a hardcover containing pages of scribbles and dedicated doodles.

him drawing and becoming an animator is working out greatly.

the youthful designer decides to take off his circular glasses, balancing them on his mop of beige, disheveled hair. he's edgy, despite it not being his first book signing. Kyong wants to do right by his fans as always.

he wants to be the superhero he's portrayed in his comics. loyal, dashing, reliable but with flaws like every other human being. he wants to be himself.

Kyong smiles, remembering the notification he received this morning. he'll be working with Marvel soon and he cried of pure happiness.

the boy's book signing starts and runs smoothly and successfully. his hand hurts but he ignores the pain as he greets smiling, dedicated people of all ages and genders, with a wide toothed smile that makes their day better.

Kyong takes the next book placed on the table, eyes not looking up as he gets ready to sign the page. "signed to who?" he asks patiently.

"Marc, Marco."

Kyong's heart stops. his favourite name, favourite person. he grips the pen in his hand, placing it down silently before forcing himself to lift up his gaze. Marco stands in front of the younger- the love of his life from his past.

"to Marco please." Marco repeats, lips lifting to show a smile that makes Kyong's heart grow heavy with longing and wistfulness.

everything comes flooding back. them being there for each other, drinking lemonade, laughing until their stomachs pained, riding bikes down a customary path leading to their houses, dropping ice-cream, gawking out the window, creating back stories for sculptures and statues at museums, photographing and painting inspirations from the galleries, reading out loud to each other, licking peach juice off each other's lips, dancing under a glowing street lamp, pushing each other into the sea, caressing cheeks, squeezing hands, kissing knuckles, bare bodies intertwined in a forever that didn't last.

Kyong can't stop looking- there's tears forming in his eyes. Marco looks the same as he always does- boyish looks, healthy and gladsome vibes, a handsome, boxy smile, splendid figure and a calming heartbeat. Kyong is in complete awe. he can't believe it.

the man behind silent Marco interrupts the intense, fascinating eye contact between the nostalgic, magical lovers with his rowdy voice. "hurry up!" they forgot about the waiting queue.

Kyong signs the page, hand shaking as Marco leaves.

//

a movie press conference is being held for Marco.

his new, detailed movie- one he's looking forward to is going to be discussed by superiors above him. Marco's worked on several, different genres of movies as an assistant director but now he'll be directing on his own. he's full of resolutions, hard work and interest.

Marco takes his hands out of his pockets, clasping in front of him. "this movie will portray seven stories of seven men." he speaks, voice flashy and clear after thanking everyone for coming. "they learn that living in the present is more important than being stranded in the past or future." he keeps a straight face, thinking about the seven men and how they've inspired him. this is an idea he's had for a long time.

Marco glances at his outfit in the glass window- blazer, pearly button up shirt tucked into tight pants and polished shoes. he always wants to look charming and presentable. "they're all true stories. some didn't get happy endings and i'm one of them..."

the rows of men and one woman in front of him look at him with meaning, curiosity and knowledge. he feels nervous, wondering what they think of his movie idea. Marco needs to impress.

"any questions?" the young director asks.

"why on earth should we watch a movie directed by a gay male?"

the man challenges Marco, smirk not wavering from his lips. the woman seated beside him rolls her eyes, eager as well as everyone else for Marco's comeback. he won't back down, he will not be held inferior.

"because of exactly that. because i am a proud, gay, male director."

//

Marco feels his lips turn into a smile when he clears his documents away and thanks the people in the conference room for coming.

he stops in his tracks when he notices a young man still here.

Kyong, what are you doing here?

he was in the audience too. Marco didn't even realise. the figure steps away from the vacant seats, hands in the pockets of elegant trousers as he smiles sheepishly.

Marco watches Kyong as he walks towards him, uptight smiles fitting into the atmosphere that holds only them. Kyong rubs his finger across his bottom lip, smooth steps as he straightens his blazer.

Marco can't help but smile. he's missed him, so much. both men are doing very well and the air between them is content and carefree. there's no distaste or hatred, there's mutual admiration as they recall honourable memories.

"i'm proud of you." Kyong murmurs, voice echoing in the wide conference room as they stand opposite each other on the steps.

Marco nods, unable to wipe the smile off his face. "we've come a long way." he admits and notices Kyong's nod. the older grabs his briefcase and swings his blazer over his shoulders. "you want to get a drink?"

Kyong tilts his head, smiling a close lipped pretty smile. "of course." let's be giddy again.

Marco follows the younger, shaking his head with a laugh as he sees a familiar bandana falling from Kyong's waist.