⊰Epilogue⊱

💫

"I'm guilty of what you say," my voice is even, watching as a few shift their stances to my easy claim. There's no reason for me to argue against this, most of those standing in this room were there that night.

Rose's features shift slightly as she says, "I want to know...why?" She shakes her head as if I am the one who snapped without thought or regard for life. That I'm crazy or insane...that I acted without thought.

My mind flickers briefly before I sort my thoughts and reply, "I made a promise to Cormac Arin, that I would end the lives of those who jeopardize the success of future peace."

Rose glances to Grandpa, his features hard as he looks at me.

Why won't you help me?

I understand now...I'm reaching out and believe I'm connecting to Grandpa, but it's void silence and the connection is one-sided.

He's forgotten who I am...me...

...though he remembers what I, as Dot, have done within proximity of him.

He is not my Grandpa any longer...

That hits hard in the center of my chest, fighting back the conflicting feelings that attempt to break the surface tension.

"I recall her mentioning what she says," Grandpa nods and affirms this, my heart beating fast as Rose glances back.

"Are you not sorry for what you've done? The life of a child-"

I interject and retort, "Let's not forget how you reacted to me bringing a child of Cormac's back..." my eyes narrow on her as our stares lock.

"Who are you to judge and play with another's life?" Rose shakes her head and asks, her voice holding a watery tone as she doesn't understand my reasoning. She's not questioned anything before, once we came to terms, so why is she now when I've given her every reason in the world to trust me?

I clench my teeth together before I tell her, "I'm sorry I defied your judgment..." my voice trails off as I try to make a stand, "...but I'm not sorry for taking Mercury's life."

Delaney cries softly, nearly breaking down to the floor as she more than likely was expecting me to show remorse. I have none, I'd kill him again in a heartbeat.

"Dot has done everything in her power to aid in this change," Dante surprises me and steps forward, releasing Selenia. He's given mixed reviews by the council and Rose, though that doesn't stop him from continuing, "Without her, you wouldn't stand where you are as The Hybrid Queen, Rose Valentine."

The fairy floating near the shoulder of Tresor asks, "Excuse me, as we don't have many ties here before the formation, it just my opinion, but if she," points at me, "helped us stand where we are today, should she not be pardoned for her crime?"

"That's how the new council handles justice?!" Delaney cries loudly, slowly getting to her feet as she barks at me and then to Rose, "What happens if she decides that I no longer fit in this world? She'll kill me and be given freedom again?"

Rose stands quiet, a tough decision she must make as I've already made so many that's put me right here.

Would I change anything?

Absolutely not...

The silence continues, Rose finally breaking it as she says, "You will need to serve time for your treason-"

"She's going to live?!" Delaney cuts Rose off.

"Please remove Delaney Thornton," Rose waves her hand as she can't handle the back and forth, Delaney speaking out of turn. She's taken from the ballroom by Grandpa Sebby, the whole time...we stand to wait. My eyes flicker to meet with Rose's, my heart beating fast as the blood pounds in my ears.