⊰52⊱

💫

"Dot?" Grandpa Sebby breaks me from my thoughts and my eyelids open. Glancing to him as the encampment disperses, those readying to help once everything is in with Rose draws nearer. He asks me with a look of concern, "Are you ready?"

Why do I feel like whatever is happening now...is not just tempting fate, that this is my fate and the end for all those who are part of my world?

Shaking from my thoughts, I nod and ask, "It's 9 PM already?"

Grandpa Keir walks closer and nods, telling me, "Alpha Marc sent Bishop out to see if he can get in contact with his brother, Alpha Chris. He leads the Crusaders Pack and if he's anywhere near here-"

"My brother's not an idiot," Marc breaks in and sighs, shaking his head. We look to Bishop who stands alongside Marc. Tears are in Marc's eyes as he says, "My brother...they had a pup just over a year ago."

Bishop continues when Marc's surprise can no longer be contained, and he shuts down. Bishop clears his throat and states, "They left two scouts in their territory as they went south for the winter solstice. They'll return in the spring, but until then, we won't have any help from them."

Before Grandpa Keir can say anything, Grandma Laura speaks up and says, "That's understandable...the future of your pack is more important. He didn't know what we were planning and it's selfish of us to ask for his aid at the eleventh hour."

I nod, Grandpa Sebby keeping his gaze on me the entire time.

Daddy Taron...

...Edith.

Every time I believe my shield strong enough, something pierces right through it.

"Okay, I'm going to head to the edge of the tree line bordering Castle Valentine grounds," I breathe out, taking my stance as I'm ready for this to be over.

I say my goodbyes, as they all get into position. Rose's gear is already set out, watching as I'll meet up with her the second, she heads into the forest. I'm at the edge, creeping closer as I see the gathering at the Theban runes...

...how...how did the runes come to begin with?

As I furrow my brows, I store that in the memory bank for Tresor later. If anyone, he might know their origin as he already is so deeply connected. He mentioned Aeon has woken prior to all our existence...could that be in connection?

My heart skips a beat as I see Arthur leading Rose to the meeting area, the rest of the council watching her closely.

Dot?

I'm here, Grandpa.

It's reassurance, as Uncle Kev cannot be here this time around, I must be utilized the best we can. While the council watches Rose, she can't seem to look them in the eyes, worry surfacing as I'm not sure...there's no way he'd poison her...

Rose lifts her chin the second Arthur moves out of the line and announces, "Arthur Valentine, first council member," stepping onto the rune in front of him, I allow the air to leave my lungs. She wears jeans and a high-neck tank top, her shoes are hardly considered just that...shoes.

"Taft Thornton, second council member," Taft announces and steps forward, looking over the selections like a hawk.

Grandpa doesn't wait long before he states, "Cormac Arin, third council member," he moves forward onto the runic symbol, my heart beating fast as I rest my gaze on Aohdan.

I forgive.

I forgive you.

...I forgive you.