Tell Me You Love Me

Start from the beginning

"Blue!" Luke chirped as he ran up to his emmer, hugging them tight. "It's so good to see you."

"I'd say the same thing, but your chest is blinding me."

"At least you see a part of me."

"Let me go," they deadpanned.

Luke pulled away, holding Blue by their shoulders at arms-length. His lips formed into a pout, his head cocked to the side. "Did you get shorter?"

"Luke!" they laughed.

The ride to the apartment was smooth. There wasn't much traffic, and the silence was filled with an animated conversation from Luke. He was excited about sharing his life with Sara, talking about both his work and personal life. Though they made commentary here and there, Blue remained mostly silent. Listening was helpful in getting their mind off Andrew, yet his presence still lingered, creeping up each time they were finally beginning to ignore him.

"Come on, Blue," Luke playfully pouted. "You're usually more hyper than this. What's up?"

"Nothing," they lied. "I just really want to hear about your life right now. I'm happy for you."

"Well, as much as I love my life, I would much rather hear more about your own life. How is your band doing?" he questioned excitedly.

"We changed the name," they answered. "Rosebud was nice and all, but we're now Galactic Cannibalism, because our sound is not as sweet as the name Rosebud would suggest, you know? And the new bandmates are great. Rain is such a sweetheart, and Trevor and Dustin are amazing as well. And the classes, ugh!" they laughed. "I love it so much. My dreams feel like they're actually going to come true."

"I'm so proud of you. Do you have any classes on campus?"

"Only Tuesdays and Fridays. Why?"

"The commute will take at least an hour, longer depending on the trains arrival."

"Really?" Blue asked. "Almost seems like it would be better to stay with-"

"Of course, I'm sure you can always stay with Aiden on those nights, right? Then you can come back home with me and Sara, and we'll...we'll be a family again," he smiled, glancing at them across the counsel.

A family. Again, no less. Was that why Andrew was so adamant on wanting Blue to live with Luke and Sara? Because Luke missed them so much and was willing to have them impose on his newly engaged lifestyle? Did Luke want to be a family again that badly? Blue missed him, too, including Sara. She was like a sister to them, part of their family. They were part of their family.

Blue did miss the little things they didn't get to do while living with Andrew. Eating and discussing dreams over the breakfast table, always attempting to eat dinner together on weeknights, lunch on the weekends due to the band. And how music was always playing from someone's speakers, how the house was never completely silent, because there was always an instrument to play and have fun with.

Even as Blue played the piano in the tiny apartment, Sara and Luke danced together, everyone laughing and experiencing pure joy as though they truly were a family. It wasn't just siblings anymore. Sara was officially one of them, someone Blue loved the moment they met her. Right away she called Blue by their correct pronouns and treated them like any other human being. They weren't questioned over who they were, they were just them.

Sitting at the dinner table that night, Blue felt the familial aura around everyone. Stress no longer hung in the air at the tension of making a deadline, and the sexual chemistry that constantly built up between them and Andrew was nonexistent. Everything felt G-rated, and in a strange sense, it wasn't as comforting as they once remembered it being.