Chapter 12

She is slowly opening her eyes letting out a small grumpy noise. "What the hell?" she asks. She touches her bandages around her head. "What happened?"
"You were too exciting for pizza," I say.
Athena touches my cheek, "Shawn."
I carress her hand. "Everything is fine."
"I remember falling from the stairs," she whispers. Her hand then touches her stomach. "Is my baby okay?" she asks.
I kiss her forehead. "Does it hurt?"
"No," she says. "is it okay?"
The door opens and a female nurse comes in. "Hi, I have to check the patient," she smiles. "How are you Mrs. Athena?"
"Okay," she answers.
I step out and wait in the hallway until the nurse comes out. "Is she okay?" I ask.
"Yes, everything is healing well and since she woke up, I think by tomorrow morning she can go home," she answers.
I nod, "Thank you."
"Welcome."
I go back to Athena. She looks confused. She is rubbing her stomach.
"Hey, you might go home tomorrow," I lightly smile. I hold her hand which has an IV on it.
"Shawn," she whispers. She looks at me. She has realized what happened. Tears run down her face and her nostrils begin to get red. Her breathing becomes irregular and she gasps for air letting out a scream.
I just stand there doing nothing. I can't do anything but just to be here for her.
"No! No!" she yells. She hits the sides of the bed. "My baby!"
I cried too much to even start crying now. I just feel an ache in my lungs, an emptiness I can't fill.
"Why?!" she cries, "I was so stupid! I killed my baby."
"No," I kneel next to her. I press my hand into her leg. "Don't say that."
"I wasn't paying attention! I-I killed our baby," she exclaims.
I pet her hair, "No. It was an accident." I hug her tight and she cries on my chest until she falls asleep.
...
NEXT DAY:

Athena POV
"Okay, I will be just next door fixing the room," Bonnie says as she puts pillow behind me on the bed. I can't move much, I need to get well again.
"Okay," I say.
I feel so empty. I can't believe what just happened. I am not going to be a mother anymore.
There's a knock on the door. It is Mr. Trevor.
"I am sorry for just coming with no invitation or early awareness," he says. He closes the door and walks to the front of the bed. "I am glad you are here with us Athena."
"Thank you," I say.
"I am sadden by the lost, I was actually sort of looking forward to have my first grandchild," he lightly smiles.
"I know, it's my fault," I say.
"No," he says.
"I was running down the stairs like a stupid kid and I felt down!"
"Maybe it wasn't your time to become a mother,"
"How can you say that?"
He fixes his polo collar. "I'm sorry."
"Just leave, I want to be alone," I say.
"Don't push Shawn away," he says, "don't let yourself down." He leaves the room.
I begin to cry for the third time today. I feel like crap. I just don't want to be here right now. My baby is gone.
.....
Days later:

"Here," Shawn walks me to the backyard. He set a table with a dinner. "I made some chicken and veggies and even chocolate cake."
I sit and look down at my plate. "I am not hungry."
Shawn sits, "You need to eat."
I shrug, "I am not hungry."
Shawn sighs, "Well at least eat some fruits." He puts the bowl of strawberries and grapes in front of me. "They are fresh."
"No," I whisper. I slowly stand and fix my white rope. "I am going to bed." I start walking in the house when Shawn pulls my arm.
He has a serious look. "Eat."
"I don't want to," I say.
"I am not going to loose you too," he whispers. His face is red and his eyes are watery.
"Let me go," I say. I pull my arm back and walk inside. I go to my room and sleep.

SHAWN POV:

"She is sleeping in a separate room," I tell Gabriel on the phone. I am in my home office.
"She needs time Shawn. The event she went through is very traumatic."
"You don't think I am affected?" I ask. "I-I'm also suffering here. I lost my baby girl. Sh-she isn't going to call my dad or I am not going to hold her when she is sad."
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that, but you know how mothers are. Athena is young, she still has stuff to settle and now this?"
"I know," I say, "But I just don't want to loose her physically and in marriage."
"You won't."
"Thanks for listening," I say.
"That's why were are friends Shawn,"
"Yeah,"
"So hey, Judith wants to go see Athena next week, can we go over?" he asks.
"Sure. That will be great."
I hang up and call Bonnie. She comes in, "yes?"
"I need you to try to convince Athena to eat something or drink something, I am going to call a doctor so she can get checked out."
She nods, "Yes. But she is getting skinnier. I am afraid she can get sick."
"Me too."
"I think she needs to get out here, out of the house," she says.
"I can't go with her, I need to go back to work," I say.
"Okay," Bonnie says, "And I already cleared the baby room."
"thanks."
Night:
I go see Athena. She is sleeping soundly in her bed. She has a long satin gray dress on with her hair wildly loose. I sit on the side and pet her hair.
How I wish I can get her to smile again. I touch her cheek. How I wish I can kiss her to know that she still loves me. I am afraid she is going to leave me now. I would die alone and loose her. I will have guilt until I die because I never made her happy. I want to make her happy.
"Shawn?" Athena opens her eyes and look up at me. She sits up and looks at me. "What are you doing here?"
"I just wanted to see you. I knew you were sleeping but I just wanted to see you."
"You scared me," she says.
"Sorry."
"I ate fruits and cereal," she says.
"Good," I say. "hopefully you get better."
"I won't never," she says. "I can get physically well, but my heart is broken."
"How I wish you didn't feel that way," I say.
"and I am going to loose you too," she whimpers. "And what about my mother? She can die too."
"Ssh," I kiss her forehead. "No, she won't. She is getting better."
"But you?" she asks.
I look at her and cup her face. "I know, but I will make every day count and every day I will make you smile. I understand how you feel. I feel the same way Athena. I lost my baby girl too."
"I know," she looks down. "I am selfish."
I hug her, "We need to get through this together."
"Promise me you won't leave me, not soon, I won't be able to make it," she whispers.
I kiss her, "I promise."
I cuddle next to her and we fall to sleep. This is a good sign. I think we might get on the right track now.