Chapter 5

We are going back to the hotel. Shawn got released from the hospital. I am curious about what he has going on. This is the second time I see him suddenly cry out of pain.
We go to our suite and I put the dirty clothes into a bag like container.
Shawn wraps his arms around me from the back. "Thanks for taking care of me."
I turn around and step back. "Just because I don't really like you doesn't mean I will leave you dying. I am not that evil."
He smiles, "I know."
"So, what we are going to do? Are we going back to the states?" I ask.
He shrugs, "I think so. But we are going to a dinner party, my dad invited us so he can introduce you to his friends."
"Really?"
He nods, "Told you he likes you."
I smile, "I win after all."
Shawn pokes my cheek. "Sure."
"I am going to need a fancy dress then," I say.
He takes out his wallet and hands me a gold color credit card. "Here, go shopping while I help out my father with the dinner planning."
Yay!
"Thanks," I say. I am about to sprint out when Shawn gets me. "No, not that fast," he smirks, "I deserve a thank you."
I roll my eyes, "Really?"
He kisses me lightly on my lips and forehead. "Tell one of the receptionists to go with you. Tell them my dad ordered them."
"Okay," I nod. I fix my white top and curly hair before heading to the lobby. I spot a red headed girl just standing behind the desk. I guess she is bored. I walk to the desk and say hi.
"Bonjour, how can I help you?" she asks.
"The owner of this hotel says you need to go with me shopping," I say. It feels kind of cool. I like being spoiled.
"Oh," she says, "Excuse me, but who are you?"
"Oh Athena Trevor, wife of Shawn Trevor," I say. Okay, that kind of felt nice but weird.
"Oh oh, yes," she says. She comes to my side. "And why me?"
"Well you seem bored and you are young. No offense to any one else," I say.
"Heh, well I am Miranda. Nice to meet you," she smiles.
"Cool Miranda, well let's go."
...
Miranda is from Italy. She came to Paris when she was twelve and since has been living here. She is 24 years.
"Wow," I say. "And so why the receptionists job?" I ask. We are in a taxi.
"Well, I know French and Spanish, I get paid well, and I meet important people. It's nice," she says.
"Do you know Shawn?" I ask.
"Well, I know who he is but not personally. I only talked to him once because he wanted to know where his father was."
"Do you anything about him?"
She makes a confused face. "Aren't you married to him?"
I chuckle nervously, "yeah yeah."
She looks out the window, "Oh we are here."
We get out and go inside a boutique. A dark skin woman greet us and asks what we would like. I ask for evening dresses.
Miranda and I are siting on a comfy couch while drinking red wine.
"Here," the woman says, "we have designer dresses at a great price. If you come with me to the dressing room, we can start trying out dresses."
I nod and go inside the room. She helps me get into a pretty one-shoulder purple dress with jewels in the middle. It is simple yet elegant. I show it to Miranda but she doesn't think its royal enough.
I try one a yellow heart shape dress with white straps. It is form fitting, but I don't like it.
Finally, the woman gets me into a light blue strapless dress. It has a mermaid shape. It fits me perfectly. Miranda sees me and yells. "Yes! That's the one. You look great."
I blush, "Thanks. I will take it."

SHAWN POV

I put on a white tuxedo with a light blue tie. I ask Miranda what color was the dress Athena got. I can't wait to see her. She will look amazing. I check my hair to see if it's combed right.
"Hey," I hear her whisper. I turn around and see her in a beautiful yet simple light blue dress. Her hair is picked up in an elegant bun and she has the diamond necklace I bought her. The dress fits her perfectly highlighting her small curves.
"So do I look ugly?" she asks.
I shake my head, "No way. You look beautiful."
She lightly blushes, "Thanks."
I hold her hand and look at her marriage ring. "I am lucky to have you as a wife."
"Let's go," she says. I take her hand and we walk to the ballroom.
I see everyone setting eyes on us. I am proud of having Athena next to me. I want men to desire her and I want women to envy her. I see father and we say afternoon.
"Who is this gorgeous girl?" Ms. Taylor asks. She has her white hair in a simple bun. She is flooded in diamonds and gems. She is my father's girlfriend.
I chuckle, "it is my wife Athena Trevor."
"Nice to meet you madam," Athena says.
"Likewise," Ms. Taylor smiles. Dad walks towards us and puts his arm around her. "Hello," he says.
"Hi dad," I say.
"Hi sir, Athena says.
"How is the party going?" Dad asks.
"Great!" Ms. Taylor exclaims.
"Let's sit down and dine. We will meet the others in a while," Dad says.
We sit and dine fine duck, lamb, and meat. Athena and I listen to Ms. Taylor's stories of meeting my dad. It is all nice.
Dad suddenly stands and taps his glass with a fork. "Excuse me, I will like to make a toast."
Everyone shuts up and listens. "As you see, my son Shawn has married Athena. I am happy to have a daughter in law and can't wait for the grandchildren."
Some people chuckle because of this remark.
"I am happy to share this great news to all of you my friends and bussiness partners. Let's toast to the new couple."
"Hurray!" Ms. Taylor yells.
I chuckle, "Hurray!" We drink the white wine and continue dining. Athena is quiet but listening to my dad and Ms. Taylor.
The jazz music starts to play from the orchestra and my father dances with Ms. Taylor.
"Are you okay?" I ask Athena.
She nods, "Just nervous. This are like very rich people."
"So?"
"So? I don't want to seem like a fool."
I kiss her cheek, "Don't worry."
Soon, we are travelling from table to table. I am introducing everyone to Athena. I get what I wanted, men compliment her and women envy her. Once we are finished, I take her to dance.
"Can we leave?" she says as we are dancing.
"Why?" I ask.
"I don't feel good. I think its the wine."
I nod, "let me tell my dad. Go ahead and go to the entrance."
She nods and begins to walk to the door. I see my dad and tell him we are leaving.
"Why son?"
"Athena is not feeling well,"
"Oh might be morning sickness?" Ms. Taylor interrupts.
"No, it is just the wine. She is not used to drinking a lot."
"Okay, okay," Dad says. He signals me to leave. He is sort of upset but I am more concern with Athena.
I get out the ballroom and see Athena leaning agaisnt the wall. She has her arms hugging her. I go to her, "what's wrong?"
She looks at me, "You are sick, aren't you?"
Huh?
"Ema Watson, the daughter of your dad's best friend, she was one of ex-girlfriends right?"
Ema was there? I didn't even see her.
"Am I right?"
I nod, "Yes, but that is in the past."
"I know, she was a bitch right?"
I nod.
"She left you because you are sick. You have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. She left you because she discovered you will be useless in a couple of years, right?"
She knows now.
"And you just married me because you need a kid to get all the money that your dad will give you, right?"
I see tears on her eyes about to burst. She is angry.
"Yes."
"Why the hell you didn't tell me?"
"I didn't want you to be the same as her."
"So you thought I will just leave you if we actually meet right and dated? You thought that if you asked me to marry you, I will say no?"
"Yes."
She slaps me, "I hate you. How dare you make me feel something for you and not tell me the truth?"
"You like me?" I ask.
"I do," she cries, "But-but you are leaving soon. You aren't going to be there for me. I don't know why I am feeling this way. I am sad."
I hug her, "sorry."
"Ema told me you are going to die soon. She didn't want to be with a disabled man," her cries continue.
I pet her hair. "Calm down."
She doesn't say anything anymore. I still hold her tight.

"Make love to me," she whispers.