Chapter 27

I'm left here with Shawn. He shyly hands over the roses. "For you," he says.
I'm in disbelief. He has the nerve to come with roses like if he just stood me up on a date. He sees I don't react and puts the roses on the middle table. "I want to talk," he says.
I cross my arms against my chest. "Don't start. Please, I just want to leave you peacefully. There's nothing to talk about."
"I love you Athena," he says.
"No, stop it," I shake my head, "you should have told me every single thing."
"I know! I know that I messed up. But I thought since you said you love me," Shawn replies.
"I loved you," I quickly say back. But I feel like I have hit myself in the stomach. It hurts.
Shawn tries to walk towards me but I move back further. "Leave."
"No,"
I put my hands as if I'm surrendering to him. "Just stop," I begin to whimper, "I was crazy thinking I loved a man who bought me. That just doesn't happen. I got seduced by you."
"No it's not crazy, your father knew how compatible we were and-"
"No! It's still not right! I was in love with Royce, that was pure love not this. This was just lust and fun but not love."
"What about the baby you are carrying? We made it with love," Shawn says, "that baby and our little girl in heaven are product of our love and lust for each other."
He suddenly grabs my from the waist and we are close. I feel his warmth and his breathing on my forehead. I don't want to look at him.
"Why? Why then did you say you loved me? You knew how our marriage was arrange and now you hate me because I didn't tell you about your father?" Shawn asks. He sounds upset.
"Let me go," I whisper.
"Just tell me, look me in the eyes and deny me the chance to be together again."
I slowly look up at him. He looks tired and stressed. His lips are semi dry and he has bags under his eyes. I meet his eyes and my heart aches.
I open my mouth but I can't say anything! His hands compress more into my body and his body gets completely close to mine.
"Tell me, and I will leave you forever. I would like to see the baby more though," Shawn says in a lower voice.
"I-I want, I want,"
"Yeah?"
Oh god, my breathing is way off. My head begins to feel dizzy.
"I don't feel goo-" I pass out.
...
"Idiot, what did you do?" I hear Henry's voice close to my ear. Then I feel something behind my head.
"She fainted Henry. It's normal, she is pregnant," then my mom's voice appears. I open my eyes and see white at first but then everything clears up. I turn to see Henry on my right side. I'm in my bed. "She's awake," Shawn says. He's still here.
Henry looks at me, "Hey, you okay?"
I nod and touch my chest. "I just fainted."
Mom gets my hand. She is on the other side of the twin bed. "Anything I can get you?"
"No, it's fine. Sorry for the scare," I answer.
"Did Shawn do something to you?" Henry asks.
"No, we were just talking," Shawn replies.
I nod, "Yeah. I guess it's part of the pregnancy."
"Well, I'm going to make something we can all dine," Mom kisses my hand and walks out of the room. I ask Henry to help sit on the edge of the bed.
"Here," Shawn gets me a cup of tea, my mom probably brought it for me but forgot to give it. I notice his hand is different. His hand is shaking like if he can barely grasp it. I quickly get it before it falls. "Thanks."
"Sorry, I didn't want to put you in any pressure," Shawn apologizes. I sip a bit of tea. "It's okay."
"Do you want to be alone?" Henry asks me.
I put the cup on the side table and nod. He sighs and leaves the room before giving Shawn the "I'm watching you" look.
Shawn sits next to me on the bed. "Your mom and I talked. She believes I was stupid to basically buy you but she knows we all did this for her sake. I wasn't trying to be evil or take advantage of your situation and I never forced anyone to do something."
I know, but what should have I done if millions of dollars were just there to help my mom and pay our debts and all I needed to do is to marry a man? I didn't think about it and well my dad didn't give me a choice.
"Your mother wants to see you happy. It's natural, but she agrees that you might still want me around," Shawn says.
I look at him, "you aren't evil, but this isn't the love story I want to tell my child. How in the world is it something good?"
"You care what people say about what normal love is?" He asks. "Besides, this love grew naturally. We can say to our child that we feel in love with time."
There's a knock on the door. "Come on, you need to eat something Athena," it is Henry. I stand, "I want to be alone Shawn. I need time to think."
"Okay, I will give you that. I just hope at the end you will come back to my arms."
I open the door and go to the dinning room. Mom made grilled chicken.
Shawn follows and we all eat in silence. After Shawn is finished he excuses himself. I walk him to the door. He turns to me.
"I will not sign the divorce, but once I received the answer then we will see. You are still my wife. The house is open anytime you want to come back."
Shawn opens the door and leaves.
I close the door and put my head against it. I feel a hand on my shoulder.
"Why are you so stubborn?" Henry asks. I turn around and shrug.
He lightly smiles, "Rest."
"You think I'm doing this wrong?"
"I'm your friend. I'm here for you in whatever you want. I support you," he says. He gets my hands into his.
"Thanks."