Chapter 28

Next Day

Henry and I are meeting up with Royce. He invited us to lunch. I fix my jeans as I get out of Henry's car. They are getting tighter every day. My baby is growing along with my stomach. I touch it against my long sleeve shirt.
"Hey, come on, I'm starving," Henry yells as he walks into the restaurant. I grunt, "You are always hungry!" We go in and see Royce waiting at a table for 4.
I wave hi and say his name. He smiles wide. I introduce Henry to Royce. We sit and order food.
"So how are you bonita?" Royce asks.
I nod, "a bit better and getting fat as each day passes."
Henry chuckles, "She gets moody."
"She doesn't need to be pregnant to be moody," Royce adds.
This guys aren't going to have a problem getting along. "Shut up," I say.
"Here you guys," a teen boy comes with our order. I quickly start to eat my waffles. I ordered brunch.
"So how are you doing Royce?" Henry asks. "I hear you got a good job."
Royce nods, "Yeah. I'm good."
Thankfully Gabriel hasn't said anything to me. I don't know if he knows what happened.
We enjoy our lunch and have a casual conversation.
We begin to walk out. "So Shawn was here," Henry randomly says. I stop and look at him. Why did he say that?
Royce turns around and asks why. I roll my eyes, "nothing. It's irrelevant."
"It is. It means Royce needs to fight harder for your heart," Henry grins. What the hell is his plan?
Royce nervously chuckles, "What? I-I am not trying to win her heart again."
Henry smiles and gets my hand. "Well, then it's your lost."
We go to his car. I look at Henry. "What the hell is going on with you?" I ask.
Henry turns on the car. "I'm trying to make Shawn and you realize that at the end of the day you love each other. Creating competition for Shawn is good," he answers. He begins to drive.
I put my seat belt and look straight at the street. "Why?"
"Because I told you, I love you."
I remember, why is he saying it so normally? I look at him. "You do?"
He nods and still looks ahead. "Yes."
My chest hurts. Is he serious? No, wait, he can mean it in a friend/brotherly way.
...
We get to my mom's home. I see my dad siting with my mom in the living room. I say afternoon.
"Hey," Dad says. Henry smiles, "Hi Mr. And Mrs. Marrison."
"Hey sweetie," Mom smiles. "You guys want to join us for a CSI marathon?"
"So are you guys together again?" I ask as I sit on the couch next the other one. Henry sits next to me.
My dad puts his hand on my mother's leg. He looks at her with so much care that it gives me goosebumps.
"I love your mother and I did stupid things, but I wanted her to smile as many days as I knew she deserves to," he says. Mom has a big smile with her eyes watering. He then looks at me. "I wanted to give my daughter everything she deserves. Shawn is something great but I never asked you if you really wanted to. If you wanted Shawn, maybe Royce was really the everything you deserve."
Dad. I feel a lump in my throat. I know how hard it is to admit everything he did wrong.
"I respect and back you up to divorce Shawn though I do think he deserves more time to see the baby," he says.
"I agree," Mom nods, "he was foolish but he isn't evil."
Henry touches my hand, "it's your choice Athena."
I look at him. "I'm scared."
He smiles. "We all are."
...

SHAWN POV
A week later

"Can you come back? I have my answer," her sweet voice says. She is calling me.
I nod, "Yes."
"Okay, we will talk tomorrow at my mom's house. Is that okay?"
"Of course,"
"Bye Shawn. See you later." She hangs up.
My heart beat is going crazy. Gosh, what is she going to say?
I quickly get my laptop and book a hotel and an airplane ticket.
"Bonnie! Pack me a suitcase for two days," I yell from my home office.
"Okay!" She yells back.
I go to my room and see Bonnie packing my things. I was about to help her when I get a text.
Gabriel: can we talk? I'm worried for you.
Reply: I'm okay. Don't worry about me. Worry about Judith and the baby.
Gabriel: Your my best friend. Please.
Reply: Okay. I go to your place.

I arrive to Gabriel's house. Judith opens the door. "I'm glad you are here," she says.
I hug her. "I'm sorry. I just needed time alone."
She pulls away, "it's fine. I understand."
We walk to the entertainment room they have. Gabriel stands from the bar chair and says hi.
"Thanks for coming," he says. Judith excuses herself.
We sit at the bar and I get a small glass of whiskey.
"What's happening?" He asks.
"I don't know, I'm going to see Athena tomorrow," I say, "I might get a divorce or not."
I drink a bit of the whiskey.
"I'm sorry, but why the sudden change?" Gabriel asks.
"I just did something stupid, it was a lie I did. Athena didn't understand why I lied, then again I really don't know why either."
"Oh man, and for that she left you?"
"That and I just couldn't control my jealousy."
Gabriel shakes his head in disbelief. "Idiot."
"I know,"
"Are you going to be okay if she divorces you?"
"I was okay when I got diagnose with ALS. I think this isn't as bad, besides, I kind of deserve it."
I finish the drink. "Don't worry."
"And the kid?"
"I will be allowed to see him or her every weekend," I say.
"Okay," Gabriel says. We stay in a silence moment. I stand, "I need to go. I got to get everything for tomorrow."
He hugs me, "I love you brother. Don't do any more idiotic things."
I chuckle. "I know."

Next Day

I got a text from Royce to meet him up before I met Athena. I'm siting inside a bakery with a simple coffee on the table for two.
I hear the door open and see Royce come towards me. He sits in front.
"What's going on?" I ask.
He is frowning. "I know all the crap Athena took from you. She was sold. Now she is confused on what to do."
"I know,"
"I do still care about her. But I know she doesn't love me anymore. But if she decides to leave you, I'm going after her."
I furrow my eyebrows, "Really?"
He nods, "but if she decides to give you another chance, you better make it worth her time and love."
"I will but I'm not going to give up," I say.
"Alright."
"Okay."
...
I'm watching her come in the dinning room. She has a knitted type brown long sleeve dress with boots. Her hair is in a high ponytail. I can see her stomach is already forming. She is beautiful.
"Thanks for coming," she says. She sits next to me.
"How are you?" I ask.
"A bit better,"
"Have you gone to the doctor?"
She nods. "I'm 3 months now."
I smile, "good."
She looks down at the table. "Shawn, I made my decision."
I try to be stable. But I'm freaking out right now. I will fight for her even if she wants to divorce me.
I love her not to.
"I forgave my father, and I'm forgiving you too," she says.
I touch her hand, "Thank you even if I don't deserve it."
I squish her hand a bit. "So what's going to happen?"
She looks at me. "Make love to me. Show me you love me. I want to stay with you."