Chapter 25:

A week later.

ATHENA POV

"You needed me?" Royce is siting in front of me in my mom's dinner room.
I have been living with her since I left Shawn. My dad doesn't live with my mom. He is staying over a friend's house.
I nod to Royce. He moved back here after I helped him get a job in one of the school district offices. Gabriel helped me, of course I don't think he knows the situation.
"I want to be friends again," I say.
"We were and are bonita," Royce smiles. "I guess I got my explanation on why you left me, it's shitty though, but I can't be angry with you. It wasn't your fault."
"Really? You aren't upset with me anymore?"
He places his hands on the table for me to put my hands on top of his. I do so.
"I'm here for you now. I didn't do much when you were my girl, let me be here at least as a friend," he says.
I squeeze his hands more and I try not to cry. My hormones are all over the place since yesterday.
I chuckle to replace my tears. "Thanks Royce."
"No crying anymore, from now one you will be happy and healthy for you and the baby," he pats my shoulder. He stands and fixes his white long sleeve shirt. "Let me buy some lunch."
I smile, "Totally."
He leaves and I walk towards my mom's room. I knock on her door and she opens it. "Oh, I was barely going to say hi to royce," she says.
I step back to let her walk out. "He will be back. He's going to buy some lunch for us."
She lightly smiles, "That's nice of him."
We walk towards to the living room. We sit on the long couch.
"How are you?" Mom asks.
I sigh, "Better. I don't want to cry anymore."
Mom puts a hair strand behind my ear. "You shouldn't suffer anymore. We should be happy. I am sad but I have my life to live. I beat cancer for God's sake! I will move on. You will too"
She's right. I cried for almost a week. I'm done feeling stupid and used. Besides, I have a baby now. Even if I had doubts to have it, I won't abort it. It isn't its fault.
"You're right mom. So what do I do?"
"Well, Shawn needs to suffer, by that I mean he needs to be left alone for a while to reflect what he did to you. Then be mature about this and talk about it."
"Is that what you are doing with dad?" I ask.
She shrugs, "he is doing that to himself. He left the house. But I will talk to him tomorrow."
"I know that dad had problems with his addictions and our finances, yet I can't understand why he lied. He told me why I needed to marry Shawn but what got me upset is he lied about betting me into a poker game and his relationship with Shawn," I say.  
"I know. And well I'm also somewhat upset with you, you should have told me what was going on Athena," Mom says calmly. "I would never want my baby to suffer or do something she doesn't want to."
I have a light frown on my lips. I should have but she was sick. She wouldn't allow me to marry someone I didn't love or for money. But I needed to, I had millions of dollars in marrying Shawn to save my mom's life. I took it without much choice.
"Sorry mom," I say. "I will tell you everything from now on. I promise."
Mom hugs me tight. "Thank you for trusting me. I love you."
"I love you mom."
...
SHAWN POV

"So, you must clear your offices and desks by tomorrow, I thank you all for your time, effort, and love for the company," I say to every worker I had. We are in the parking lot. It was the biggest location I could find to meet with all of them.
"You will receive the last paycheck and compensation and a recommendation letter written personally by me. Once again, thank you and hope you all do well."
I start to walk with Gabriel, Judith, and Kimberly by me. I am expecting rude comments or boos but as I am walking in between the crowd, clapping occurs. I look up and see them smiling and clapping. A tall dark skin man emerges from the crowd in front of me.
"Son, this ain't your fault, you didn't sell out. You tried to get back the oil but it was your father's choice. In my opinion, you are a better CEO than him. I'm happy I worked for you sir."
I shake his hand, "I will help everyone get a job."
"Don't need to do that, you done enough," he smiles.
"Thank you sir," I say.
He moves to the side and I walk away. I go into my office which I'd empty. Judith pats my back, "You did your best."
"Don't worry," Gabriel says. He stands next to Judith. "No one hates you."
I roll my eyes, "Athena does." I say under my breath.
"Sir, I'm going to get my things, do you need anything?" Kimberly asks. I turn to her, "No. Thanks."
She nods and walks away.
"Everything okay?" Judith asks. "How is Athena?"
They don't know. I'm ashamed of what I did. I'm embarrassed for Athena. I don't know how to tell them.
"Um, Shawn?" Gabriel asks.
I shake my thoughts, "I'm going to go to Europe. Athena isn't with me anymore. I'm not the guy you think I am. It's better that we aren't friends anymore."
"Whoa, why?" Gabriel asks. He gets my arm and makes me look at him.
"Just," I say. I touch my left arm. I can barely move it now. It's part of my disease.
"Tell us," Judith says, "isn't she pregnant? You are just going to leave her?"
"Yeah," I say.
Every word coming out of me is like bullets striking my body and killing me slowly. I hold my composition.
Gabriel frowns, "did she just play you?"
"No," I say. "She's the most kind person."
"Then what the hell is going on? Why is my best friend saying he's leaving and doesn't want me to be his friend anymore?" Gabriel slaps my left arm.
"Don't hit me!" I push him. "Just leave it." I walk away.
I quickly jog towards the parking lot. It has been cleared. I get into my car and drive home.
...
I arrive to the house. Bonnie greets me and tells me Henry is at my office.
"He says he is worried about Athena and you," she says as we walk towards my office.
"Thanks," I say. I go in the office and see Henry looking at Athena's portrait.
"What do you want?" I ask. He turns to see me. Hasn't Athena told him already?  They were good friends.
"Where is Athena?" He asks. "I've been calling her but the number isn't valid anymore. I call you but you don't answer either. What's going on?"
"You really care what happens?" I ask. I sit in my desk.
Henry nods and looks at me. "Yeah well mainly Athena but you are sort of a friend,"
"She left me. She had the right to so she left. Happy?" I answer.
He gets surprised and puzzled. "She left?"
I nod.
"What did you do?" He asks annoyingly. He crosses his arms across his chest.
"None of your business, get out, you already know she isn't here."
"She's a good girl," Henry says. "She loves you even if you fucked up. But don't take advantage of her again. She doesn't deserve it," Henry says. He exits the office.
I know that. I'm stupid.