Instead, my mate saved me.

"You... you jumped from the cliff... to save me. How?" We are treading water, slowly gliding in circles, Malachi's arms around me and my legs around his waist. This beautiful dance between us has drowned out the rest of the world, and all I feel is the Alpha's strength holding me safe.

"You really think I would let my mate fall off a cliff and perish? I would jump off a thousand times to save you. And I would catch you, every single time." He places a warm kiss on my forehead before giving me a wide smile. "But I want to know what you were doing so close to the edge of the cliff?"

I flinch at his rebuking tone. "I was about to jump off. I did it before, but this time I was accidentally shoved—"

"You jumped from the cliff?" His eyes widen and blink. "Only wolves who are either brave or stupid do that."

I tilt my head, watching a drop of water slide from his hair, down his cheek, and along his square jaw. Mesmerising.

"And which one are you?"

"Hmm?" He, too, seems enraptured by something.

"Are you brave or stupid? Because you just leapt off that cliff..."

He throws his head back and laughs, the water around us sloshing against us with the motion. "I think I was bravely stupid. Or stupidly brave, I don't know. I can't figure out just what you do to me," his rich voice rumbles from his chest as he whispers lowly in my ear, sending shivers of pleasure racing up and down my spine. "Goodness, Ariella, you are so te—"

"Are you two love-birds done kissing yet?" Hamilton interrupts us from the water's edge.

I glance up, and see a crowd has gathered, watching us with keen interest. I feel my cheeks flush with heat despite the water that is cooling my skin.

We swim to the edge and climb out, Malachi keeping his arms around me, as if afraid I'll fall over my own two feet. My lips are tingling from the aftershocks of his on mine, and I lightly touch my fingers to them, my heart leaping and a giddy smile tugging on my face.

"You could have told me he is your mate," I hear Hendrik mutter and shake his head with a wistful expression.

Malachi's grip tightens on me, and I feel a pulse of jealousy wrap around his heartbeat. I look up and see him glowering darkly at the warrior.

"I want to know exactly what happened. How did she fall from the cliff?" Malachi looks over everyone with a dark stare, his powerful stance making them shrink in obeisance.

"From what I saw, she was accidently shoved and lost her balance," Hamilton takes charge when everyone else remains silent.

"And who shoved her off the cliff?"

Two male wolves hang their heads. "Sorry, Alpha, for being so careless. We didn't mean for anyone to be hurt. We didn't even see her near the edge until it was too late."

"We will discuss your punishment tomorrow."

"But Malachi," I grasp his fingers in mine where they curl tightly into my hip. "It was just an accident."

"And accidents can cause deaths. I won't allow my men to be so careless and irresponsible, endangering others' lives," he growls.

I nod, subdued by the swirling darkness in his eyes.

"Sooo, Alpha Malachi. Are you gonna explain...this?" One of the girls waves her hand, motioning between the two of us.

Malachi takes a deep breath, forcing the stormy expression on his face into something more pleasant, more content. "Yes, well. I suppose now is the time to introduce my mate. Everyone, I'd like you to meet Ariella, daughter of Beta Charles and Lexi, from ForgedHearts Pack. Your future Luna," he lifts my hand in his, a winsome smile tugging his lips upward.