"No, no," he chuckled. "It's an LGBT book award."

"You write about the LGBT community?"

"Yeah. Didn't you read the book?"

"Which one?"

"Blue Moon." It was his most recent book, published six months ago.

"Kinda," they dragged out. "It...it was more like I got ten pages in before I fell asleep and then woke up almost late for a concert."

"See," he exclaimed. "I told you. You are stressing yourself out with your school and music work. You need to take a vacation. Isn't there one coming up?"

"Labor Day Weekend?" they pondered. "I think I have four shows in three days-"

"Blue-"

"Take better care of yourself. I know, I know." They groaned, slumping onto a kitchen stool. "I just...I need the work."

"I know."

"This is my career we're talking about. I need to- Wait a minute," they snapped. "We are talking about you, not me-"

"But we should be-"

"Excuse you," they sassed, "but I was not done talking. Now tell me why you are not more excited about this book award. It's a big deal, right?"

"Yeah. So?"

"So?" they mocked. "Be excited, you dumbass! I don't care if this is your millionth award. You should still be excited and grateful that you even got one. Be excited!"

"Over the fact that I'm not going to win?"

His tone was not harsh, gentle and timid in fact. Yet the impact hit them strong, an unsettling feeling pitting in their gut. Blue watched him grip the counter, his back turned to them as he mumbled under his breath, counting to ten. It broke their heart, but they weren't sure if approaching him and holding him would be the right way to go about comforting him. They sat still, silent as they watched, waiting for any signs that he may need help.

When he finally did turn to face them, his face was once again calm and sturdy. He looked the same way he always did. Blank. "I've read all the competitor's books. They're all incredible and deserve to win more than my book does. If my book won, I'd be robbing any one of them of a victory they deserve."

"Why don't you feel you deserve it?" they questioned, slipping off the stool.

"I was moved to tears by their work. It was beautiful. Everything about it was beautiful, and if I won...it wouldn't be right."

"Andrew," they cooed. Walking up to him, they wrapped their arms around his neck, burying his face in their shoulder as they ran their fingers through his hair. "You deserve to win. Your book was nominated for a reason. You should be allowed the chance to win fair and square like everyone else. Your book is amazing."

"You didn't even read it."

"But you wrote it," they stated. "I may have only read, like, two of your novels, but I've read your magazine articles and parts of your...boys love novels," they grumbled, earning a chuckle from him. "Your writing is beautiful. I love it so much. You deserve to win just as much as any of those other authors."

Andrew leaned in, kissing the top of their head. "You should eat something before you head out. You're meeting with Rain today, right?" he questioned as he turned back to his bowl of dry cereal.

^^^

"How has the reading been going?" Aiden questioned as he flopped down onto the couch next to Blue.