Malachi nods. "It is believed that the pollen of the blossoms mixed with the embers of the roots gives you—"

"Vitality of the young, and wisdom of the aged." We both finish the wise proverb together and just stare into each other's eyes for a moment.

"How do you know that? I've met nobody else who does, besides my grandmother." Malachi says.

"Well..." I twist my fingers and give a small smile. "I guess I'm like nobody you've met."

"That is certainly true, and I couldn't be more grateful," he reaches out and takes a strand of my hair between his fingers, twirling it into a spiral. Then he tucks it behind my ear, his fingers trailing down along my jawline in a gentle caress.

I can't help but lean into his touch, my brown gaze lost in the blue crystal of his eyes. I am mesmerised, but when my hand reaches out to support my shifting weight, it lands on his thigh which causes him to swiftly react.
With a startled expression, a curtain closing over his warm and open gaze, he gets off the bed and scratches the back of his neck.

Then he turns back to me abruptly, the stony-faced and mysterious Alpha once more looking at me. "How about we go for a run?"

"A run?" My voice squeaks with surprise.

"Yeah. Just on the trails through the forest. Hamilton said you're a good runner and I'd like to see it for myself," Malachi gives little in way of explanation.

I'm not really in the mood to go running. Rather, I'd prefer to sit and sort things out over a hot drink, jot notes and solve our problems that way. However, the morning looks too beautiful to let pass by, so I agree.
"Sure, okay. I guess it will be a good chance to see more of your territory."

A smile once more tugs teasingly on his lips, as if it is forbidden for him to not be so serious all the time. "Sure. Do you want to use the bathroom first, or..." he trails off awkwardly as we both head for the bathroom, so I quickly pull back.

"No it's okay, you use it first. I'll go find something to wear," I mumble and feel my cheeks grow warm with a blush. It will take some getting used to, this sharing a room and bathroom with my mate. For so long my time has been my own, doing whatever whenever I please. How does one fit their life and everything it encompasses with another? I want this unity though. This careful fitting of two puzzle pieces together to make a beautiful new masterpiece. I pray that's how our life will turn out.

As I sift through my things, finding my running gear, I see the parcel my mom gave me at the last minute as I left. Last night, amidst the tragic events, I never got to open it.
I carefully unwrap the brown paper and feel the silky soft material of my formal dress. It unfolds and I hold it up, astounded at the beautiful violet dress that looks clean as new. I peer at the bodice closely, to find no traces of the blood stains. My mom has cleaned it thoroughly for me, and my chests squeezes in happiness as my lips pull into a wide smile.

"I really like that dress on you, by the way."

I jump when Malachi speaks, and turn to realise he's standing right behind me, his body crowding mine in the small walk-in closet.
"Thanks. It was my school formal dress. And the one you nearly destroyed the night you marked me."

Malachi grimaces with regret, so I quickly laugh to shrug it off and make him feel better.
"My mom fixed it, so it's okay." I look back at the dress. The stains have been removed from the material, but Malachi's mark remains on my body, unfading. It pulses every time he looks at me, reminding me of who I belong to. His crystal blue eyes follow me as I scurry into the bathroom, shutting the door quickly on my erratically pounding heart.