"Dot! Dot!" Wyn scotches over and pats the log beside him, grinning from ear to ear as he says, "Alpha Sebastian and Alpha Marc and showing me how to make S'mores."

"You've never had them before?" I ask with curiosity. Sitting beside him, Grandpa Sebby is looking at me with keen eyes, outstretching his hand and handing me a stick after Marc spears it with a marshmallow.

Wyn shakes his head and replies, "No...before I was auctioned off to Aohdan for Laisha's pleasure...I recall growing up at the orphanage."

"Wait, what?" I nearly double take, asking him, "What happened to your parents?"

Wyn's voice lowers, staring into the flames as he sighs, "I don't remember much, just that my mom got really sick when I was little...she was pregnant, and my dad tried to help her...but, when he took her away to get her help..." his voice trails off, pulling the stick away from the flames as the marshmallow had caught on fire, "...I never saw them again."

Wyn blows out the small flame on the marshmallow, Marc's features solemn.

"So...vampires found me wandering the streets and I was quickly placed in an orphanage that raised humans to be eventually auctioned off," Wyn sighs and finishes, "I was put into training at a very young age."

Grandpa Sebby clears his throat and states, "That's horrible. I'm sorry you grew up without family."

"It's okay," Wyn replies, shaking his head as he tries to put the marshmallow together with the chocolate and graham crackers.

The way he sits, not realizing I'm looking at him in different lighting. It might just be the light of the campfire, but I'm brought back to the moment I first met him. I recall...he is a much older slave of Aohdan's.

I never asked about his past...

...I just assumed he was a bred slave of Aohdan's.

It never really occurred to me to ask...everything I thought changed when he asked me if I believe in a higher power, him questioning why he was treated the way he was. It changed me...

Is that why my wolf is so affected by him?

Because he's been hurt and lost?

I just don't understand the connection, the way she's taken to him...

...to risk our life to save him.

"Here," Wyn sweeps the past away under the rug, snapping me from my thoughts as he hands me the S'more he made.

"Oh," I reply, a smile forming on my lips as I take it from him.

Grandpa Sebby and Marc give each other a side-eye, their gazes immediately returning to settle on the two of us. I immediately understand what's going on and I quickly turn away.

It's not like that.

I earnestly reach out to Grandpa Sebby.

And if it was?

I tilt my head to the side as I turn back to face the flames, my heart beating fast as I don't believe this connection is anywhere close to what I feel...for Merle...for Tresor, it's not the same. Yet...my wolf...

It's not. This is not my time era, this is n-

I've seen a larger age gap between mates then you could ever imagine. Dot, do yo-

Stop! Wyn is HUMAN. How could you think...why would you even...?

Grandpa Sebby has never hurt me...never...why would he even entertain this idea?