Their drive started in silence. Once both of them had their seatbelts on and Mike had started the car, he connected their hands again. This time running mindless patterns over El's knuckles.

There was rarely anyone on the roads of Hawkins, Indiana this late at night. Maybe a single car here and there, but other than that, it was a ghost town at these late hours of the night.

They drove in silence for a while. Nothing but the buzz of the air conditioning filling the space of the car. El stared mindlessly out the window as Mike kept one hand on the wheel, the other still linked with hers.

The silence between Mike and El was never uncomfortable, but Mike wanted to help El feel better. Music had always been a thing El admired, ever since she was finally introduced to it at the age of thirteen.

The beauty of music always had a way of brightening El's mood. Mike had been there to witness it many times before. Mike reaches over quickly to turn the radio on.

He keeps the volume low, not wanting to disturb the comfort that the car has built around them. The music is still lightly buzzing throughout the car when El moves away from the window.

She just wants to be closer.

Her available hand joins her other to clasp around Mike's. Mike gives her hand a small squeeze of comfort.

A familiar tune plays softly in the air. Mike notices, picking up on the opening sound of the music. A smile forms on his face as he once again reaches over quickly, this time to turn the volume up.

Welcome to your life
There's no turning back
Even while we sleep
We will find you...

The song is recognized as Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears. Mike starts by lightly nodding his head along to the music, mouthing the words.

It's my own design
It's my own remorse
Help me to decide

Then when the chorus starts playing, Mike starts singing. Mike can actually sing if he wanted to, but this time he's using a deep, exaggerated voice as he sings along to the lyrics.

There's a room where the light won't find you
Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
When they do, I'll be right behind you

A smile forms on El's face at her boyfriend's attempt to sing at a low tone.

So glad we've almost made it
So sad they had to fade it
Everybody wants to rule the world

Mike finishes off the chorus in an even louder voice than before. El lets out a giggle at his antics and Mike turns his head to send a quick, smiling glance her way. She shakes her head incredulously as they both refocus their eyes forward.

They continued driving as the song went on. After finishing, another familiar tune fills the air. This ones a bit more upbeat, more of a girly, pop song.

I come home in the morning light
My mother says when you gonna live your life right
Oh mother dear we're not the fortunate ones
And girls they wanna have fun
Oh girls just wanna have fun

Mike looked over at El excitedly. It was Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper. He knew she loved this song and he was going to make sure that she sang it with him.

She let out a chuckle at his excited state. El knew that secretly, deep down, Mike loved Cyndi Lauper just as much as she did. Next thing she knows, Mike is singing, but this time in a horrible falsetto to match with the pitch of the artist.

The phone rings in the middle of the night
My father yells what you gonna do with your life
Oh daddy dear you know you're still number one
But girls they wanna have fun
Oh girls just wanna have

Mike continues to sing every lyric, word for word, in that horrendous falsetto. El can't help but let out hearty laugh as he continues to sing. "Come on! I know you love this one, El!" he shouts over the loud music as he sends a bright smile her way.

They both join in for the chorus, singing obnoxiously loud, as they drive down the empty roads.

That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Oh girls, they wanna have fun
Oh girls just wanna have fun

They finish the chorus as laughs and giggles erupt in the car. Mike can't help but admire El's bright smile and beautiful giggles as they drive down the road.

When the song ends and they have both calmed down, their hands are still locked together and they continue their drive.

Mike's never been so grateful for his license.

word count: 1969
a/n: I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! it was definitely a longer one and I enjoyed writing it. this idea came to me when I was listening to 'everybody wants to rule the world' and I just thought it would be super cute:) thank you guys so much for all of the support recently! this book is almost at 3k reads and I'm so grateful for all of my readers/voters. let me know what you think and if there's anything I could improve on! I would really appreciate it! please vote for this chapter and remember requests are always open!
I love you guys<3