Chapter Eight

Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. - Princess Diana. 

Hi everyone... um so I decided to post earlier... been having a few bad days. So I'm unsure if this would have come out on Wednesday. So please enjoy and don't worry about me, I'll be fine in a few days just need to focus on myself and this story, writing helps me calm down so... yeah. 

Enjoy  

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

As I park, I look to Bebe and she smiles sadly before climbing out of my Jeep. I shake my head and get out as well. I follow behind Bebe as she tries to navigate her way to the meadow. She refers to the map and compass that I forced her to use. Bebe and I try a trail; but it doesn't look familiar to her. She and I backtrack to the start and try another trail.

I see a look now appear in Bebe's eyes and her desperation to find the meadow fuels her to keep going. Finally, we see a clearing ahead, Bebe looks to me and smiles I smile back and we both hurry towards it. Bebe steps into the clearing, hopeful... but her face falls. In contrast to the warmth of her memory I knew she had, the meadow is cold, gloomy, cloudy. And no Edward. She closes her eyes, trying to force Edward here. Her eyes open on the empty, overcast meadow.

I hold Bebe as she sinks to her knees. Tears threatening. But I look up as I hear a rustling noise. We both turn toward it. Another rustling noise comes from another part of the woods. We spin toward it -- nothing. Then we turn and I push Bebe behind me as we find Laurent standing just ten yards away. Dreadlocks, chiselled face.

"Laurent?" Bebe questions as my eyes narrow.

"Bella. Kara," Laurent grins. Bebe beams as she sees him and realises, he's real.

"Laurent!" Bebe greets brightly.

"I must admit, I didn't expect to find you here." Laurent says as he comes over to us slowly, stalking us.

"We live here. But you - we thought you were in Alaska with Carlisle's friend." I stated.

"Tanya, I was. It was kind of him to arrange, given my association with James and Victoria, "The Enemy."" He said.

"You tried to help us." Bebe says as Laurent begins to stroll in a slow arc around us, his eyes assessing us.

"I went to visit the Cullen's, but their house is empty. I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you both sort of a pet of theirs?" Laurent questions and Bebe's smile falters while I growl lowly.

"Um... something like that." Bebe answers.

"Do the Cullen's visit often?" Laurent asks.

"They most certainly do, the family only left because people started to notice that Carlisle wasn't aging." I answered casually. "I'll let you know they came by," I said with a smirk gliding across my face.

"Will they be able to reach you in Alaska?" Bebe asks, calming down.

"I don't think so. Tanya's "vegetarian" family was pleasant enough. But the dietary restrictions were difficult - living on nothing but animals." He answered before he is standing inches from me. I keep Bebe behind me. "Tell me Bella, Kara. Do you ever feel compelled to... cheat?" Laurent asked. "But that's not why I left. I came back here as a favour to Victoria."

"You're still friends?" I ask as I tilt my head.

"More or less. She asked me to get the lay of the land with the Cullen's. Because, well... I'm afraid Victoria is quite put out with you both." He answered with a slight shrug.

"That's too bad." I sneered.

"Yes. She feels it's only fair to kill Carlisle's and Edward's mates, given he killed hers. Eye for an eye, mate for a mate." Laurent states.

"That's funny, because I clearly remember that it was I, who killed James," I growled, my accent dropping in, before shoving Laurent away from us. "Guess Victoria is bad at getting the right answers," I mocked. "But if Bebe is killed, I won't hold back, see Laurent, you don't want to mess with me, my family and I are a thousand years old," I gloated. "My brothers and sisters, they are pure vampire, the first to be made, but I was the one that created your breed," I stated as I walked forward, but stopped looking to my right. "But I guess it won't be me that will kill you, sad Victoria won't get her chance to know that it was I, who killed James," I whispered as I stepped back to Bebe.

Laurent looks to the right, fear in his eyes. "I... don't believe it." He steps back. Bebe's confused as she realizes he's no longer focused on her... she follows his eyes, slowly turning... to find behind her and enormous black wolf, skulking out of the darkness of the woods. It stalks towards them, a low disturbing growl in its throat, sharp teeth gleaming. Bebe and I are trapped between the two killers.

"Don't move," I whisper as the wolf slinks closer to us, a mere twenty feet from where we stand, then, another four wolves soundlessly emerge from the trees, flanking the black wolf. They're the size of small horses, all different hues: dark silver, chocolate, ash and russet-brown. Their hackles are up, lips curling, bodies crouched, ready to spring. Bebe is frozen with fear as they come toward her. The russet-brown wolf is the closest and looks directly at us but mostly Bebe. 'Jacob,' I thought as Laurent continues to retreat - then suddenly, almost simultaneously Laurent bolts across the meadow. The wolves spring towards us and leap right over us, in pursuit of Laurent! Their thunderous snarls and snaps shake Bebe as the pack sprint after the vampire, surrounding him before he reaches the tree line. 

Laurent swings at the dark silver wolf, smacking the wolf half-way across the meadow. Another wolf lunges at Laurent he kicks it and it sails into a tree, splintering it. The two wolves recover, lurch back to the pack which closes in on Laurent. It's impossible to know who will prevail, Bebe and I don't stay to find out. And we both run into the woods back to my Jeep. Bebe and I run franticly, tearing down the hillside, Bebe tripping, but she quickly picks herself up running, running. Bebe and I break out of the tree line and to my Jeep parked on the shoulder. We both jump in and I peal out.