Chapter Four

"An unexamined life is not worth living

"An unexamined life is not worth living."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stood next to Bebe as I texted Nik, letting him know where I was, and he alerted me to the fact he needed to do something important before visiting. I knew about the whole kill the doppelganger thing, but I hate Katrina and she kind of deserves whatever is coming at her. Especially this Elena girl, dragging the Salvatore brothers through the mud. Doing the exact same thing as Katrina. Also, since it is important, I'm not mad, he'll come when he needs too, especially if Mikael is alive still. Bebe stood in the same spot as the accident. Behind us on the lawn, several of the classes congregate, gathering for a field trip. Mr. Molina is in charge.

"Make sure I get your permission slips." Mr Molina called, and I took Bebe's and mine over to him. I smiled and handed them over. He nodded, and I sauntered over to the truck before stopping and seeing Mike there talking to Bebe.

"Kara!" I looked over at the sound of someone calling my name to see it was Alice. I raised an eyebrow but walked over.

"Hey what's up?" I asked.

"Would you like to come over tonight, to meet everyone properly, you didn't get to meet our aunt, so it would be lovely to get to know you instead of interrogate you?" Alice asked hopeful. I thought it over before looking to my planner and my texts with Nik.

"Yeah sure I got nothing on," I said with a smile.

"Did you really check to see if you were free?" Jasper asked me.

"Yeah, I am busy, I have a job, but I think they fired me, haven't gotten any shifts in a while but that's okay, I'm being paid by my brother to help him with things, and he just likes spending money on me, so I live comfortably. Plus, he is probably going to come see me when he has the time. Also, I've got the whole, hunting thing too," I said with a smile. Jasper nodded in understanding.

"How old are you Kara?" Edward asked.

"1000 years old, why?" I asked. The three stared at me in shock. "Perks of being what I am. See I'm actually Karlene Mikaelson, the sister of the six Original vampires, the blood eyed ones that burn in the sunlight," I informed them. "But something was different about me so, I was something else, still human but demon," I stated. "My siblings are being hunted but I'm safe because I was all their favourite," I stated before waving to them and heading to the bus Bebe was going on.

Mr. Molina and a Tour Guide lead several of us through the greenhouse. Bebe keeps an eye on Edward who's up ahead with Alice and Jasper. Mr. Molina demonstrates the compost machine as the student's mess around. "C'mon, Eric, stuff that compost down deep... that's it..." He said happily as I continued to text both Nik and Carlisle, the latter happy to see me, I was two. I hear the machine gurgles and spins. "Now Tyler, take a big steaming cup of "compost tea." This is recycling at its most basic level -- hey, don't drink that!" He shouts as they run off with the compost tea. When Bebe sees Edward pause by an ancient staghorn fern, alone, she takes a breath for courage and strides up to him.

I watch her carefully and leave her too it. I wasn't about to mess up anything, I have a brother to hopefully reunite with and someone who is mine, to talk too. I walk past the pair and over to the roses. I smiled lightly and placed a finger on the petals.

*Flashback*

"Karlene! Come on!" Nik shouted as my short legs tried to keep up with my older and taller brother.

"Wait Nik!" I called back with a laugh. Nik had always been the one sibling I would go to for when I was upset, or just in general be around. He was my favourite out of all my family, but I only ever admit that to him. "Where are we going brother?" I asked before he shushed me and looked around the area before pulling the shrubbery that hung from the trees, away. I gasped in surprise at seeing all the roses surrounding the garden. I felt tears prickle my eyes as we walked further in. I turned to Nik with a bright smile and hugged him tightly.

"I found this yesterday, I know you love roses dearly," he whispered holding me tightly. "This is our place to hide," he whispered as he creased my bruised cheek, my mother hitting me yesterday, I deserved the hit, I was being a brat for not listening to her. "You never deserve to be hit, understand me Kara," he whispered, and I nodded as we both hugged each other tighter. Both needing that security and love that we could only give to each other.

*Flashback end*

I smiled wistfully at the memory, my eyes tearing up I felt someone stand next to me and I looked over seeing Alice smiling sadly. "You love your brother a lot, don't you?" Alice asked.

"More than anything, but Carlisle, he might be the one to break that just a little," I whispered.

"Love them equally," she whispered, holding my hand.

"Always," I stated. I smiled and walked out of the greenhouse with Alice holding my hand as support. Bebe not seeing as she paid attention to everything else but me.

I heard my phone ring and I grabbed it seeing it was Nik. "Fratello?" I questioned.

"Sorella, nothing is wrong I just need to make sure you're still real," he whispered.

"I am, I promise," I whispered.