Chapter Two

"Not all who wander are lost

"Not all who wander are lost." 

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

I sat next to Bebe as I thought over what had happened last night with my older brother. I was terrified to call Nik, because in my head I knew he hated me for choosing to keep growing then to stay with him, but I couldn't do it, I wanted to do everything again and again. Bebe and I were sitting atop a table, an open book in Bebe's lap, as I stared ahead. But Bebe's eyes are on the arriving kids, and the parking lot as they pull in. She was waiting for Edward. Jessica, Angela, Mike and Eric kick around a soccer ball nearby. They wave Bella to join them, but she smiles, declining... and returns to watching for Edward. Her face tells me she's ready for a confrontation. But sadly when it is time for biology, he wasn't there.

The next day Bebe and I sit with Jessica and Angela who watch a YouTube video on their phone. Bebe gives it a cursory look but is focused on the Cullen table --only four of them. Edward's seat is empty... I smile sadly as she turns to me in frustration.

Bebe and I exit with Angela, Mike, Jessica and Eric, becoming a part of this circle. I watch as Bebe now only glances at Rosalie's car, a red M3 BMW, as it drives past, noting, again, four Cullen's, no Edward. Bebe returns to our friends, finally forgetting about him... No she'd go back to him, I know she will.

I park in the schools parking lot and make a quick and graceful dash to the halls of the school. As I walk in, I shake my head and little droplets of water fall out of my hair. I laugh thinking about my best friend who would be glaring at me right now if I made a joke about him. I turned as the doors open behind me, and I see Bebe glaring at the water falling down her face.

"I hate this," she says. I giggled and we both continued with our day. The rain beats on the roof as Eric walks Bebe and I into class. She brushes water off her coat as he chats her up.

"And yeah, prom committee is a chick thing, but I gotta cover it for the paper anyway, and they need a guy to help choose the music -- So I need your play list," Eric says as I hang our coats up. Bebe was about to respond when Mike comes up behind her.

"Come on, Arizona. Give it up for the rain." He says, and he shakes his wet baseball cap onto Bebe's head.

"Terrific." She mutters and walks away from the boy as I glare him down. I turn away from Mike to see Bebe freeze when she sees Edward. I watch Bebe straightens, girding herself. Then strides to the table, and confidently drops her books down, ready to address him. But he looks up at her. I watch as the pair interact with each other and I just let them be.

"Onion root tip cells! That's what's on your slides. Separate and label them into the phases of mitosis. The first partners to get it right, win... the golden onion!" He cries as he excitedly holds up a spray-painted onion. Everyone just looks at him. He's disappointed by their apathy.