Dealing

Katherine

It felt good sitting in my chair. My throne. In the office that overlooked the whole compound, every station, every worker. I immediately felt empowered. But the second I looked at Nobody's picture on my wall, I felt that wave of pain rush over me. It felt like a ton of bricks. A new assistant of mine, Jess, knocked on my door and stepped inside.

"Ms. Howard-"

"One, it's Ms. Nobody. And you don't just knock and enter. You wait for an invitation. So, let's try this again."

She looked confused.

"Step out and then enter the correct way." I clarified.

She stepped outside the room and closed the door. I heard her knock a few moments later. I simply sat at my desk, staring at the wall. I couldn't get the sounds of his breath fading away out of my head. It was driving me crazy. After five knocks, I allowed Jess in.

"Make that mistake again and I'll kill you." I told her with a smile. "What is it?"

"The main combat team is holding a meeting in the conference room, requested you to attend. Also, you have a call with the council on hold. Just press line three when you get a chance."

"Okay. That call will wait. I'll be down to the conference room in a second and make sure there's coffee waiting at my seat." I flipped my hair.

Jess nodded slowly. She paused before leaving.

"May I help you?" I asked, full blown attitude now.

She shook her head softly and stepped out.

The nerve. I went into my filing cabinet and looked for any documents with any association of the base in China. I came up with nothing. I did find a code that had no meaning whatsoever and Nobody's file. I didn't want to open it. Fuck that.

I walked down to the filing room and the team was all there. The uniforms looked nice and well. All black. Just as it should be. I sat at the head of the table, the coffee was waiting. The room was quiet for a while.

"So, now that I'm back, things are going to be different." I finally stated. "The newbies are going to get more actual time in their profession. With my memory loss and shit, I know they haven't had any sort of progress with their training and placement so that's the first thing that'll happen. I'm sure you all know them quite well now and what they succeed in. The second thing is we need to find out more about China and the base there because I'd like to actually team up with them. I know a partnership was in the making but I had no idea until a little-"

"Nobody is dead." Dom began.

"-over twenty four hours ago. I think a conference with them would suffice for the time being." I continued.

"Mysteriously died in his house at one in the morning last night." Dom presses. "You're the president of this. Find out what happened so we could get revenge and then celebrate him the way we ought to."

"I'll get to that when I can." I waved my hand. The breathing came back. I shook my head.

"Kat-" Brian spoke up.

"I have a phone conference with the council in a bit so I'll be busy setting up the funeral and everything. I've never planned a funeral for the king of the castle before but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Okay? Good. Meeting adjourned." I stood abruptly and bolted out of the room.