What Makes A Good Soldier?

Katherine

I felt the chill of ice water on my skin and my eyes snapped open. My body's first instinct was to jump up and fight but I was strapped to a seat. Hands and feet and neck. I could only look forward. And I did not want to look forward. There was cells lined up all around me. I blinked quickly to get the water off my eyelashes. There was people in the cells. Their eyes looked cruel, dead. And they were also wet. I looked up at the ceiling as much as I could. There was a bucket facing down. I frowned. What the fuck?

"Katherine Howard. How sweet of you to join us." A man came closer to my cell.

"Who the hell are you?" I asked. I was beginning to shiver. "And why is it so cold?"

"Well, you're in Russia." He laughed. "I'm Bill."

I frowned deeper.

"Sleeping medication is one hell of a drug, huh? We couldn't do anything with you because you were resisting. You don't remember?"

"No." I stated. "Why am I here?"

"I need you. I need you on my developing team, dear." He smiled softly.

"For?"

"See, I'm going to be brutally honest. A team of good soldiers require nothing but action. No sympathy, no mercy, no compassion. I need a team that can provide those three talents and I have spent two years searching for the best of the best and you, my sweet, are the last."

"I'm not a soldier. I'm a wife and a mother and a sister."

"When you murdered people without second thought, you were nothing but a pure God."

"I'm not a God."

"I think you're wrong. See we are all soldiers deep inside. We all have something to fight for, something to be apart of. The typical reason is the country you live in. But I want soldiers to be completely ruthless. You've lost your touch when you decided to marry that weasel. But no worries, love, I'll get you nice and right. Congratulations, Ms. Howard. You've been selected to be on a glorious team of real soldiers." He winked.

"It's Mrs. O'Connor." I growled. "My team is going to come for me. They're going to kill all of you and save me. Count your days, bitch."

"See on my team, there's a thing called respect. Something you lack." He got angry.

He opened the cell door and in came two guards. They stuck a needle in my arm and I immediately felt the affects of drowsiness.

"I will kill you." I whispered just before I went under.

I saw Brian. He was smiling and holding Brooke because she's a spoiled brat. He saw me standing there, watching him and he came over. He kissed me softly.

"You got this." He told me.

"What?"

"Fight this."

"Brian."

"Don't let them change you."

"The fuck are you talking about?"

"There's only one way you're getting out of this. Dead or changed. I will fight for you but if you don't want to fight for yourself, I can't." He touched my face.

I turned around and saw Quinn and Ruby standing there. They were teenagers with long hair and piercing eyes. I gasped and looked at Brian. Brooke was also older. I frowned.

"Still haven't heard anything from Mother?" Brooke asked Brian.

"I'm here." I told them.

It's like they couldn't hear me.

"No. She's not dead, though. Her body would've shipped over."

"Well, I'm tired of waiting." Ruby sighed.

"I am, too." Brian frowned.

I lowered my eyes. I didn't like this. Whatever the fuck this is, dream or nightmare or hallucinations, I hated it.

And once again, the chill of ice water dumping on me woke me up.

-

Hola mi amigos 🤗.

-Chicken Soup 🍜