Case of Saving Us

Katherine

I sat in my office, the team surrounding me. Letty walked in the room with my babies. My mom made Brian call and tell her to bring them. The newbies were also in the room. I felt groggy and had a serious headache. I sipped my coffee.

"Can we get to the case please?"

"Your marriage is the case." Nobody fixed his suit.

"I don't need you lot to sit here and-" I began.

"Katherine. Shut up and listen." Mother sighed.

I sat back in my chair.

"You had a miscarriage and kept it a secret." Nobody began. "That's was beyond wrong."

"Exactly." Brian nodded.

"Shut up." Kaleb snapped at him.

"But here's the thing." Mother said. "As a kid, Katherine would take a cookie after her father and I said no. And when questioned, she was honest. When she would break something of her brother's and he confronted her, she was honest, despite how mad he would get. She once accidentally broke a three thousand dollar painting and I chewed her out...but she was honest. My daughter is not a liar and so for her to keep something a secret, she must've thought it was the right thing."

I stayed quiet.

"I've never spoke of this but about a year before I had my twins, I had a miscarriage."

Kaleb and I looked at Mother. She nodded slowly.

"Worst pain I've ever felt. And I was conflicted about telling my husband or not. But he found out on his own before I could leave the hospital because the nurses called him. Brian, I get it. You're angry, you're hurt. But Katherine wasn't looking to hurt you. She was looking to protect your heart, love."

Brian stayed quiet.

"Marriage is fucking hard. But I know for a fact that you two are soulmates. So you two are going to take a break. However long you want. The girl's will live with me-"

"Mom, you're an alcoholic." I pointed out.

"I'll take them." Alina volunteered. "Besides Katherine and Brian, I have the best relationship with the girls."

"You're going to play favorites." Letty snapped.

"They're my kids. They'll go with Alina." I stated.

"They're also my kids." Brian frowned.

"Eh well Mother's win custody battles these days."

"Not if the judge knows the mother is a bipolar hitman." Letty commented.

I jumped up from my seat, Kaleb and Alina as well. Mother held me back, Nobody with Kaleb and Tej with Alina.

"I'll see you outside, bitch." I pointed at Letty.

"This rivalry between you guys..." Nobody shook his head. "What happened?"

"I had a miscarriage. I tried to keep my husband happy and it backfired horribly. Once again, I'm looked at as the bad guy. No matter what I do, I'm in the wrong."

"You should have told me!" Brian snapped.

I sighed. "I give up. I'm done."

"No you're not." Mother hissed. "Brian, you will move back home, girls go with Alina. You BOTH can visit anytime you want."

"Mother. I'm tired. I've waisted time. I need to continue training my newbies. I don't want to do this anymore."

Brian looked at me. "You're giving up on me?"

I paused. "I want to, Brian. I honestly, truly do."

With that, I got up and left.

-

So I went to the pet store to simply get a bigger cage for our bunny and let's just say I left with a kitten. I mean, she was free because no one wanted them and they need to be taken quickly before they get too big and have to be let go. All I have to say is that I am not allowed into the pet store anymore (words of Cynthia).

I'm a animal person 🤷🏼‍♀️

-Chicken Soup 🍜