|| FORTY-EIGHT ||

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," she nodded, feeling Sweet Pea rub her back. "Guess we won't have to unpack my stuff for the second time."

"Thank God," her brother chuckled. "Take it easy, okay?"

"That's the aim," she saluted, making him laugh. Sweet Pea got on his bike, waiting for Lauryn to wrap her arms around him before he started the engine.

The consequences of how much she'd strained herself did not take their time setting in, and Lauryn found herself feeling the same way as the weather outside. Sweet Pea fell asleep minutes after they got home, but the storm rolling in in her gut stopped her from reciprocating.

She tried to eat some cereal, but found herself put off by the third bite. Covering her mouth to try and focus on something else, she found it in vain, bolting for the bathroom. She tried to be as quiet as possible, but Sweet Pea woke up nonetheless.

He folded his arms at the sight of her, leaning on the doorframe. "I'm not one to say 'I told you so', but--"

"Please," she said, her head still over the bowl and her voice sticky and flat. "That's like, your favourite phrase. Go back to bed, I'm good."

Letting out a sigh, he tied back her hair. Even when all he could feel for her was contempt, he still cared enough to take care of her. "No more crazy shit, okay?"

"Do I have a choice?" she chuckled in stupidity, gagging which somewhat humoured him. "Stop laughing. I feel so shitty."

"I know you do," he responded, massaging her shoulders lightly. "But, you can't act surprised. What did you think was gonna happen?"

"Okay, I fucked up!" she snapped, shrugging her shoulders out of his grasp. "I was doing fine before you came in here to gloat. You can go."

"With puke in your hair?" he asked, knowing he was only annoying her at that point. "Maybe you'll take my advice from now on."

She spat out what was left in her mouth. "Don't bet on it."

Sweet Pea laughed, flushing the toilet for her before standing her up effortlessly. "Bed."

"Can I wash the puke out of my mouth first?" she requested, and he gestured towards the sink.

"Be my guest," he said. "I was worried I'd have to kiss you holding my breath. Oh, and if you don't want me to hear you throwing up, you could, at least, close the door."

"Sure," she scoffed with the toothbrush in her mouth. "Because my body definitely gave me time to slip that into my agenda on the way."

His hands slithered around her waist from behind, and he perched his chin on her shoulder, his tired eyes closing for a moment. "I'm so glad you didn't move out again."

Lauryn spat out the toothpaste, barely able to reach for a towel to wipe her mouth with because of his tight grasp on her. She giggled, caressing his hands which were over the bump. "Do you mind?"

"No," he husked, and she finally managed to clasp the handtowel. "I love you, you know that?"

"Really?" she answered, resting her head against his. "I hadn't noticed."

Sweet Pea shrugged. "I must've just been so used to the act I had goin' for all those years."

"Clever," she remarked, yawning. "I love you, too, and as much as I'm enjoying this, I'm exhausted."

"Hearing you say that is better than hearing 'I love you' right now," he exclaimed in relief. "Bed, now. Go."

Laughing lightly, Lauryn plodded her way into the bedroom. Her body entered standby the second she hit the mattress, as of it was thanking her for finally giving some clarity. Her eyes shut immediately, and her body succumbed to the warmth of Sweet Pea's touch under the sheet, listening to him breathe until it finally sent her to sleep.