|| ELEVEN ||

"I'm fine, really," Angel Face reassured Sweet Pea for the millionth time, feeling the sides of her neck to see if the scratches were still bleeding. "It was nothing."

"Baby, she could've killed you," Sweet Pea responded, frantically observing her, making sure she wasn't hurt anywhere else. He cupped her cheeks. "This is all my fault."

"No," Lauryn shook her head, refusing to hear it. "In no way was this your fault, Sweet Pea. You saved my life! I'll be okay, it's nothing I'm not used to."

"I should've told you about her. I should've warned you," Sweet Pea muttered regretfully, turning away from her. "She was inches away from ending your life-"

Lauryn burst into tears at the thought of it, and her boyfriend quickly sat down beside her and wrapped his arm around her jittery frame, letting her lay her head into his chest. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I know you've had a hell of a week."

"It's not your fault," she sobbed, trying to contain herself and wipe the escaping mascara smudged under her eyes. Sitting up, she sniffled. "I keep lying to myself, acting like nothing happened last week, like everything's normal, like I'm normal. It's not, and I hate having to admit it."

"Hey, I'll always be here for you," Sweet Pea comforted, caressing her cheek. "You don't have to worry, all right? You'll find yourself again soon, I know it. Lauryn, you always bounce back."

"I don't know this time," she shrugged. "It feels like I was a completely different person last week, and when I try and go back to it, it doesn't feel right."

"Maybe... it's a sign to change up your ways. I'm not saying the old ones were wrong but, hell, you landed yourself in a serious pile of shit, I won't lie."

Lauryn sighed, knowing he was right. She just couldn't let go of her old self yet, it was all she knew, all the foundation she'd built on since she was a kid. "I-"

Suddenly, they heard the front door swing open, and Lauryn followed Sweet Pea into the living room to see Fangs standing out of breath, a gravely alarmed look on his face. "I got your text. Where is she?!"

Sweet Pea grabbed him by the shoulders, shaking him lightly. "Chil out, man."

"Calm down, Fangs. I'm okay," Lauryn sniffed as she emerged from behind him, reaching out for her brother to hug her.

"Skye nearly murdered your sister. She's insane," Sweet Pea explained. Fangs' face fell with worry as he imagined just about the worst. The thought of his little sister almost dying haunted him, a river of rage flowing through him and suddenly leaving the impression that he wanted Skye dead, he didn't care how irrational it sounded.

 He glanced at his best friend, fury in his eyes. "Did you kill her, Sweet Pea?"

Lauryn looked up at him, too.  At that moment, he hadn't thought once about what he was doing, he just wanted Skye's hazardous hands off of his girlfriend, no matter the cost.

"I don't know, all I cared about was getting Lauryn out of there, she was my priority," he told them. "We should go check it out, make sure she knows to stay away for good."

Fangs swallowed a lump in his throat hard, his eyebrows furrowing. "More than that."

Sweet Pea tucked Lauryn into his bed, ensuring she was falling asleep under the covers wearing one of his t-shirts. He kissed her temple, and she felt his breath against her forehead, making her smile. She opened her eyes. "Be safe, okay?"

"Always, Angel Face," he promised, drawing the blanket over her shoulders before he and her brother set out to investigate Skye's trailer, and potentially pay her a visit.