|| EIGHT ||

"Topaz. Let's bounce," Sweet Pea ordered as he led some of the Serpents into the Red and Black room to interrupt the conversation between Toni and Jughead, looking seemingly offended that Toni was spending time with someone who wanted nothing to do with the gang.

"Jones, wanna come with? We're going down to the quarry," Lauryn offered warmly, her hopes of Sweet Pea finally not thinking Jughead was the guy he thought he was rising. All it would've taken was for him to accept the invite. "Free drinks, and the water's still clean this time of year."

"Uh. I don't have my beach bod, yet," Jughead declined, refusing to look her in the eye. Lauryn rolled her eyes and Sweet Pea looked surprised that the boy would actually decline. The fact that Jughead was proving himself to be a loser was actually starting to overwhelm him. It was funny.

"What? You'll ask for help from the Serpents, but you won't hang with us?" Sweet Pea clarified, the frustration intensifying as the humour lost its spark. "Don't come crawling to us, hat in hand, when some Ghoulie decides to earn his stripes by taking out Fp Jones' kid." 

"Duly noted. Thank you, Sweet Pea," Jughead replied bluntly. He didn't seem intimidated at all, which was odd considering how much taller and built Sweet Pea was than him. "I appreciate what you, Lauryn and the Serpents have done for me and my dad, I do. But I'm done, okay? No more favours coming your way."

Sweet Pea started to march forward to grab Jughead, aiming for the collar when the girls stopped him before their dogfight could start. Lauryn clasped his arm as Toni slid into his path, yet his gaze remained on Jughead fiercely.

"Hey, hey, hey, he made up his mind, okay? Take the hint, Sweet Pea. He's just not that into you." Toni said, almost trailing off at the end of her sentence.

"Yeah, cool it, babe," Lauryn added, tugging at the end of his plaid sleeve which was folded up to his elbow. 

Jughead raised his brow when he heard what Lauryn called Sweet Pea, refusing to believe that this hot-headed, patriotic Serpent was her boyfriend.

"Let's motor," Toni concluded, trying to get the Serpents away from Jughead as soon as possible. Lauryn nodded, and they started to make their way out. "Catch you later, Jones." 

The Serpents marched out, Sweet Pea looking back at Jughead, anger in his gut. "Leave it," Lauryn said, understanding the way he felt. She sighed. "It's not worth it."

They drove to the quarry as planned, though the couple hadn't said much to each other since they'd left school. There were a few free chairs set out near the water, and the group of teenagers took them while they had the chance.

"Hey," Sweet Pea called at Lauryn when he sat down, gesturing for her to sit on his lap which she complied to, still saying nothing. She looked at him, trying to smile, but he could sense the fakeness a mile away. "I know that look, you think I was too hard in there."

"No, I just think you're getting yourself worked up for nothing," she told him, seeing the other Serpents sitting down in the corner of her eye. "Toni and I already tried to convince him."

"I know but," he paused as Jared handed him a beer. "Man, it just pisses me off how he can be so ungrateful for everything we've done. He could at least sit with us instead of treating us like the enemy, just like his Northside pals."

"I don't know, Sweets," Lauryn responded, trying to lower her voice. "Though, I agree with you in saying he could be a little more respectful, he was my friend when we were kids. I wouldn't wanna hurt him, which is why I don't wanna push."

She could tell Sweet Pea was about to argue with her, however, was surprised when he took a calm approach. "He's supposed to be a Serpent by blood, though, baby. He shouldn't be blowing us off like we're a threat to him or something."