|| TWENTY-FOUR ||

"Are you hungry, babe?" Lauryn called from the kitchen the next day. Sweet Pea was sat on the couch drinking a beer, his face in the Riverdale Register as he jeered in amusement at the lies written about the Southside on almost every page.

"No, thanks," he responded, barely processing her question. "Do what you want, though."

"There's like nothing in here!" Lauryn remarked as she looked through every drawer of the freezer until she found one thing. "Sushi?"

"Hell, no," Sweet Pea got up, snatching the packet from her hands. "You can't have that, remember?"

"I'm craving it so bad now that I've seen it," she pouted, giving him puppy eyes. "One bite?"

"And I'm craving you so bad but your libido is nowhere to be found," he retorted jokingly, feeling up her slight curves. "I'm startin' to think you're not attracted to me anymore."

She laughed. "You think I asked to be this abstinent? The kid just isn't willing to share yet."

"Well," he hovered his face inches from hers. "I ain't waitin' nine months. You're mine, too."

"Maybe if you're lucky," Lauryn kissed him, feeling the vibration of him laughing against her lips. "But right now, my hunger drive is at its highest."

"How about I order a pizza?" he offered, and she let out a groan in relief.

"Hell, yeah. My hero."

He kissed her on the nose before grabbing his phone and the pizza menu from the noticeboard. "Hey, are you gonna come to school tomorrow?"

Lauryn frowned, watching as he dialled the number on his phone slower on purpose. "Yeah. Why wouldn't I?"

"Do you feel up to it? You're--"

Lauryn refused to hear him tell her that again. "I've been pregnant for the last two weeks, and I still went to school almost every day."

She ruffled his hair, and he dodged her to adjust it himself. Laughing, she latched onto his arm. "You're such a dork when no one's around. You know that?"

"How could I forget?" he replied, turning towards her. "Don't push yourself too hard tomorrow, okay? Take it easy. I know it's a hard environment for you to deal with right now, and I imagine all the Ghoulies know about what happened the other night."

"I will, only because I have another human to take care of now."

Sweet Pea completely disregarded his phone, cupping her cheeks. "Promise me that you won't keep any secrets from me like the one we had again? I can't stand fighting with you and, well... you know that I have a temper."

"You do. A short one, but that doesn't mean I love you any less."

"It's gonna be so weird being parents."

She giggled, still unable to properly imagine it. "Yeah, I know. Having a little Pea that we made screaming every night is gonna take some getting used to."

"Nah, we'll be all right. Can't be any louder than when you--"

"Stop!" she cringed, screwing her face up. "Order that damn pizza, please."

Laughing, he kissed her on the cheek. "You got it."

As the days went on, Lauryn's morning sickness seemed to have been getting worse, stretching to random times of the day where it was getting hard to hide. Toni was a godsend at school, helping to excuse her out of lessons when she needed to make a break for the restroom, and the guys kept away any prying eyes.