|| FORTY-SIX ||

"No, you're not doing it," Sweet Pea said, slamming his fist against the table which caused its contents to jump. "No way."

Lauryn rolled her eyes, leaning back in her chair with a hard sigh. "Here we go again."

"Yup," Sweet Pea nodded, unwilling to let her brush it off. "I can't believe you thought for one second I was stupid enough to let you do this."

"I have my own rights, Sweet Pea," she scoffed, folding her arms like a child. "This is important to the Serpents. I have to be there."

Sweet Pea chuckled in disbelief at her. "We're going on a hunger strike to save a school, I doubt that's gonna cost you your jacket. You can't be serious."

"It's just a protest," she argued, her elbows setting on the table. "To show our devotion towards our home."

"No, it just shows we're nuts," Sweet Pea disagreed, shaking his head at her. "Why the hell would you do this? You're trying to risk everything just for one of Jones' dumb-ass ideas."

"Funny because I didn't hear you objecting to it."

"I have no reason to," he told her. "I'm not pregnant, or sick for that matter."

Lauryn tutted, glancing across the room to try and ignore the frustration which was twisting her lips up stubbornly. "I'm not sick anymore."

Sweet Pea leaned down onto the table, his face hovering above hers. "Yeah, you are. Until you have this baby, your health is gonna be delicate. You know that. Why are you trying to argue with me?"

"Because I'm sick of feeling left out!" she admitted, flailing her arms about as her ego was stabbed in the heart. She stood up, the legs of her chair squeaking against the floor. "I just want to feel like an actual member of this gang for once! Is that too much to ask?"

"Is risking our baby by not takin' care of yourself too much to ask? Hell yeah, it is!" Sweet Pea spat, and the obliviousness on her face tore at his chest. "We both know it, Lauryn. You don't wanna do this. Just stay home and--"

"No, I do," she insisted, narrowing her eyes. "You know, I really don't appreciate how you keep making all these decisions for me. I'm a human being, you know."

"That's pretty obvious," he said. "If you think I'm lettin' you walk out that door this evening, you got another thing comin'. Did the last few weeks not teach you anything? You can't do this, you'll drop dead tomorrow morning. It's too dangerous."

Despite knowing it was true, Lauryn favoured her stubbornness, letting something snap hard inside of her. "I'll do what I damn well want."

"Then, you know what?" Sweet Pea began, dry spite poisoning his tone as if he was hissing at her. "I don't want to be a part of that. This need to do self-destructive shit of yours ain't gonna get you anywhere, so you can go figure that out on your own."

Lauryn studied his face, trying to grasp the meaning behind his statement. Her eyes widened, and she pursed her lips together. Shaking her head, she went to get her jacket. "Moving in together so soon was a mistake."

"Maybe it was," he retorted, flattening the temptation to stop her from going, since he knew that was her intention. She approached the front door, and he held it shut with a ring-clad hand, staring her blankly in the face. "You're not seriously walking out on me."

She inhaled sharply, tilting her head. "God, you are impossible to be in a relationship with when you act like this."

Sweet Pea's expression softened, and he let go of the door, stepping back. "Get out."

She could've, but she stood still, watching as he turned away. She reached for his shoulder. "Sweet Pea, I didn't mean that--"

"Get the hell out!" he repeated as his voice raised, and she flinched, storming out of the trailer.