|| TWENTY-SEVEN ||

"I-It's gone..." Lauryn rasped, her head in her hands as she could still feel the waves of shock striking her entire body as she said it out loud. "I lost the baby."

Sweet Pea sat across the room from her, ignoring her every word as tears rimmed his eyes, and anger ate away at his soul inside. He wouldn't look at her.

"I'm sorry. Sweet Pea, look at me, please," she begged, but he didn't even blink. "I didn't listen, I didn't take it seriously, and now look what happened..."

"I told you," Sweet Pea muttered, his voice breaking. Angel Face looked up, his voice splintering her heart as she braced for what he was going to say. "I told you to take care of yourself. That was your one damn job."

"I know. I made a mistake," her face crumbled, and she hugged herself tightly. "Please, don't hate me. I need you--"

"Shut the hell up, Lauryn," he cut her off sharply, stabbing a finger at her. "You let me down, hell, you let all of us down."

Lauryn's eyes widened in horror, and she felt her heart skip a beat as she almost tripped over her words. "H-How could you say something like that?"

"What do you expect?" Sweet Pea hissed as he stood up, narrowing his eyes. "You lost our damn baby."

He marched toward the door, and she reached her hand out for his arm. "Don't go!"

He ignored her, slamming the door behind him after leaving her devastated in the hospital room by herself. She felt a pain strike her chest and she cried out in agony, losing all feeling in her limbs.

Though she tried to scream for help, no words came out. She grasped her throat as she felt herself straining for air, looking down to see blood gushing through the blanket below her waist with no way of stopping it.

Giving up, she laid back numbly, and before she could willingly shut her eyes, it all went black.

~~~~~~~~

Lauryn's eyes swung open and she sat up briskly, catching her breath with a cough. "Sweet Pea!"

It was just a dream.

Sweet Pea jolted up from his seat, assisting her in laying back down. "Whoa, easy. I'm right here. Nightmare?"

She nodded, tears sliding down her rosy cheeks as she covered her eyes. "It was horrible."

"What was it about?"

"I-I lost the baby, and... and you left and I just didn't know what to do--"

He wrapped his arms around her, kissing the crown of her head as she cried into his chest. "Calm down. It was just a dream. I'd never leave you, and you know that."

The door opened, and in came a doctor holding a clipboard. "Good evening. I'm Dr Masters as you probably know already."

"Hi," Sweet Pea replied, letting go of his girlfriend who wiped her eyes. "Do you have the test results?"

"I-Is the baby all right?" Lauryn asked desperately, biting her tongue.

Dr Masters nodded, glancing down at his clipboard. "Yes, everything looks to be in order."

"Why did I faint?"

"You have an uncommon condition called Hyperemesis Gravidarum which occurs during pregnancy, which is the reason behind all the vomiting," he explained, and Lauryn's face whitened. "Don't worry, though. There's not a cure, but if you make sure you're hydrated enough, it should stop your symptoms from persisting as severely."

Lauryn let out a breath of relief, and Sweet Pea rubbed her hand. "Thank God."

"I'll leave you to rest, feel free to stay until you've got your strength back," Dr Masters smiled, and the couple nodded.